Logic in a live concert

RTLdan

Hello,

I've asked some questions about this topic before, but I have a few more questions.

I'm trying to setup logic in a way that can be used live (like digital performer).

I really like how you can nest sequences in DigitalPerformer and trigger the play order in a variety of different ways. It simply is awesome for live work. I don't have a mac however, so this isn't an option at this time. But I had heard that logic was the next closest software for this type of thing. (If anyone has a better software suggestion, please let me know).

Anyhow, so I'm going to use folders to keep my songs seperated, but all on one track.

I'll set metadata to 'stop' after the first song, but I need a way to either jump to and start, or just simply start playback again upon a computer keyboard press.

Is this at all possible?

Is there a tutorial or example anywhere online of how people (or pro's) are using this in a live performance?

Is there better software for this purpose available?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

-Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I'm afraid I don't understand. You are using Logic and you don't have a Mac ?

Maybe you have a PC and want to use an older version of Logic ? If it's the case maybe you question be move to the PC section. Or maybe I just got it all wrong.

Hope David's instructions gave you all that you needed. But if you want to give a try to Ablelton Live, I suggest you don't mess with version 5.x, that's if you want to get off the stage alive ;) 5.x as so much bugs and performance problems it should still be considered a beta program a year after it's official release !!! Version 4, if you can get hold of it, should make you really happy for any live performance situation. I use both Logic Pro and Ableton LIve A LOT so I know first hand.

But keep in mind that though Live has it's advantages on stage, the quality and selection of it's fx and instruments plug-ins don't even come close to those of Logic.

Hi,

Yes, I am using emagic logic 5.5.

I would have put the thread under the pc section, but I had thought that

the pc section was used primarily for pc-only tips and techniques.

I actually have a copy of ableton live 4 which came with my recording interface,

and I liked it quite a bit. However, I didn't find it useable on stage because of

it's limited tempo abilities. I wanted complete flexibility, and while it is possible to change the tempo in Live, it seems to require naming the track the tempo - which I don't want to do.

If Live had a plugin, or if ableton made it possible to use tempo maps - or create that sort of thing, I would use it in a heartbeat.

I guess I didn't mention, but the main reason that I need to use something live is for click tracks, and sequences.

I've posted before, but I'll post one more time Digital Performers features that I am looking for:

" Powerful cueing control Digital Performer lets you keep multiple sequences in a single file. Arrange your sequences as multiple cues within a song, or even an entire set. You can chain sequences together. and trigger sequences by mouse, keystroke, remote MIDI message, or even slaved to specific SMPTE time code locations. Just load one file and your whole show is ready to go."

Thanks for your help so far!

If the thread needs to be moved to the PC section, thats ok!

Again, thanks.

-Daniel

I would have put the thread under the pc section, but I had thought that

the pc section was used primarily for pc-only tips and techniques.

Yes Daniel, that's correct. PC users are free to use this forum for topics that are platform independant. The PC forum is for Windows-specific aspects, drivers, plug-ins, istallation, trouble-shooting...

So using key commands as I suggested, you should be able to optain the same functionality in Logic. Let me know if something is missing.

l, that's correct. PC users are free to use this forum for topics that are platform independant. The PC forum is for Windows-specific aspects, drivers, plug-ins, istallation, trouble-shooting...

My mistake entirely :oops: