Error code -36

WannaBeStudioNut

Hey all, I was backing up my Logic Files when i come accross and error code -36.

I have tried to find out what it is with no luck, Thought you guys may have come across it. I've pin pointed the Files, they are Audio files in the Project folder. They play fine, no dramas. It just wont let me back up to another Hardrive.

I have to get it on another Hardrive soon, as i'm going to mix it in another studio tomorrow. So if anyone knows how to fix it (or a quick fix) Your help would be awesome!! Cheers Mik. :)

P.S I've also tried to back it up on to other Hardrives and still the same error code -36. :oops: :D

36 is a generic read/write error, flagged by the OS when a file

cannot be written to a drive.

-

This happens for a number of reasons, including a permissions

mismatch on the file and destination, and also a badly formatted

destination drive.

-

I suggest you verify the drive under disk utility, and then correct

file permissions on the system drive.

-

If this does not help, send me a PM and I'll delve further for you.

-

C

Hey pantomimeHorse, Thanks for the reply. I tried to verify the Hardrive and it was all a ok! However the Verify Disc permissions and Repair disk Permission Tabs weren't activating so i couldnt run the tests. Error -36 is showing up in logic too. I have some older back ups, i was wondering if i import the new information into the older back ups would this work? I put some screen shots on for other too. The soloed region is one of the two files causing error -36.

204292721_Picture2.thumb.png.9c10ed8638100d6b2484c0c47fc51c2a.png

1423078997_Picture1.png.31b38bf74263703ea56026e91f14cc5b.png

566378633_Picture1.png.3ce1783ea9b3cc2d662ec29004bb9303.png

You can't deal with permissions on that external drive.

It doesn't (I presume) have an OS on it ?

-

You may have screwy permissions settings on your main

drive. Try repairing that first.

-

Check that the audio files you're trying to back up don't have

individual incorrect settings. (Use Cmd-I to "Get Info")

-

The mystery deepens ......

Anyone ?

-

C

Wow that was a speedy reply!! I checked all my drives they are all Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I formatted them this way from new.

The files are not being used in my Region window, execpt for one file. Which has been merged. If i remove the file out of my audio folder do you think it will affect the merged file?

Once again thanks for you help mate, I appreciate it. Cheers!

:D

Using Disk Utility, you can only verify or repair disk permissions

on a drive which has the OS installed.

-

To check permissions on another drive, use "Get Info" to look

at whole folders and, if a correction is needed, click the

"Apply to All Enclosed Items" at the bottom of the permissions

pane. This can take some time but often solves screwy read/write

issues.

-

C

Hey thanks mate, Will check it out. Cant thank you enough, think i better get some sleep in it's nearly 3 am. I have to record a C3 and Twin Leslies in a few hours. Better get some sleep now cause there going to keep me awake forsure! :D

I'll let you know how i go with the Hardrive issue. Once again thanks heaps! Cheers Mik. :D

also, assuming you don't have an os installed on your external drive you can try getting info and checking "ignore ownership on this volume" under the sharing and permissions tab. This should alleviate any issues caused by the external drive, and repairing disc permissions should do it for your system drive, but you can always change your audio files folder permissions manually with the "apply to all enclosed" command mentioned earlier.

Hi,just to give you my reaction to this.I put a new hard disk,new OS Leopard[earlier on Tiger],all fresh installation.

In the begining no problems,but even i have got same kind of messages from Logic 8 recently.I feel this is some kind of a bug!!!!

And to add Logic8 has the maximum bugs uptill now than any of its earlier versions.

I think every one will agree to this!!!

Just to give you a simple example.

I had made lots of EXS24 instruments[1500]in Logic 7 with some names having a full stop

sign inbetween like " Rhy.section 01" .This opens up fine in L8,but if you resave, then

".section 01"becomes your file formet and not the new file formet ".exs"which happens otherwise like if you give the name" Rhythem section 01"It will be saved as" Rhythem section 01.exs"

This is really very basic and funny.There are lots of bugs like this in L8 along with some solid improvents in audio and graffic engine with easy workflow

Waiting for the new version

• 1 month later...

i have done everything in this Thread but still Every time i try to record a new audio file or send the output thru a bus to an audio track it gives me error -36.

this is a partition on an external HDD. however when i use another partition it works fine !

i have also noticed that if i have about 1.6 GB remaining on my partition even the regular data doesn;t copy on that partition. if i am copying a file it gives me error -36 and when i do the same thing after freeing up a bit of space it copys the file properly.

I cleared data and tried recording audio on this troublesome partition but somehow it doesnt work !

Any suggestions ??

thanks

• 9 years later...