Console ITB - Print Effects While Recording

Hey gang!!

This is a template I created and have been using for awhile now. It allows you track while printing your effects at the same time. Same idea as running though outboard gear and printing that to tape, except in Logic.

Included in the ZIP file with the Logic template are instructions and a explanation of how this template works. But the jist of it is this. There is a "tracking console" side and a "mixing console" side. On the tracking console, these are actually busses with their inputs set to the inputs on ones interface. This is where you would load on any effects you want printed. The output of each track in the tracking console feeds to a input on the mix console. This is where you would arm and actually record.

So as an example, track 1 on the tracking console would have say, a guitar amp sim and a channel strip plugin. This tracks audio will feed into track 1 on the mix console, where the actual recording takes place. This is how you are able to print these effects while recording.

Thats about the long and short of it. Again there are more detailed instructions contained in the zip file.

Enjoy =)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NqDg86mEg7563aA1YXMIHvjXX5V1_6Sn/view?usp=sharing

That's a nice idea.

Besides the pros and cons of recording effects to tape, I'd prefer if the input channel would sit right next to the tape return channel. This would spare a lot of hopping back and forth between the input side and the monitoring side.

Also, if that's to be the template, include 4-5 pre-fader sends on both input and monitor channels for monitoring headphones and 3-4 post-fader sends on the monitoring channels for effects.

While you're at it, instantiate an inactive EQ and an inactive compressor on every channel, so you can quickly dial them in during the first rundown pass. Also, preparing 8 VCA groups would also help.

Great ideas to add to, or to customize the template with!! The version I put the link up for is a dumbed down version of my actual template since anyone who decides to give this a go will want to tweak it and make their own template out of it. Everyone will use Logic in a million different ways so this template is just a base starting point for anyone who wants to try it out. I hope anyone who grabs this template takes it and makes their own out of it =)