Logic Pro X - How to use 32-bit AU & VST plug-ins

Simon Morrison

Dislcaimer: I fully support 64-bit and think it was a bold but wise decision for Apple to move Logic to 64-bit only. However I also sympathize with users of Sylenth1, which is a staple for most dance music producers and as developer has more or less fallen off the face of the earth, there is likely no chance it will ever be upgraded to 64-bit.

As such, here are 3 ways you can use Sylenth1 with LPX:

1. Use Native Instruments' Maschine to host the VST version of Sylenth, then jBridgeM for 32-bit support (tested, works like a charm)

2. Vienna Ensemble Pro (have not tested, but told it works)

3. Run LP9 alongside LX and print audio

Hope this helps somebody 8)

Thanks, even if I didn't understand the way by Maschine.

I was thinking about running LP9 in 32 bits, then routing its track output into Pro X via an IAC bus.

Could anyone confirm it ?

And at least, I've got two mac and Logic Node definitely disappear... I'd like something like Reamote 64 from Reaper or an alternative of VEP 5.

Good night.

What about just downloading reaper and hosting Sylenth there? Would add a bit to your CPU usage (dont know how much) but it's a lot cheaper (I would rather spend the money on new gear rather than spending another 100+ just for Sylenth etc). Hopefully something like that would suffice until a 64bit version is released.

i went with #4: Uninstall Sylenth1, replace with Spire...and use logic X's built-in arpeggiator (for now). so it goes...

Is Spire really on point with Sylenth sound-wise? Haven't tried it yet.

download the demo! it's not the same, but possibly better in places. what i give up is over 100 soundbanks! but...trying to keep things simple (rather than use the workarounds suggested in this thread). but that's just me...

I would use Mainstage 2.x in 32bit mode to host any plugin.

- use Soundflower virtual busses and make an aggregate sound card in the OSX audio settings

- Setup IAC MIDI driver to have Logic X and Mainstage 2.x communicate.

This you would use the MS as external synth but Soundflower provides virtuals cables between them, since Soundflower has 64 channels I don't see a limitation.

have look at this tutorial for Protools and Mainstage. I believeit's very similar to setup Logic X.

download the demo! it's not the same, but possibly better in places. what i give up is over 100 soundbanks! but...trying to keep things simple (rather than use the workarounds suggested in this thread). but that's just me...

A lot of people who have paid 170ish euro for Sylenth would rather keep it instead of just ditching it and switching to another plugin and spending even more money

A lot of people who have paid 170ish euro for Sylenth would rather keep it instead of just ditching it and switching to another plugin and spending even more money

and the point is? i LOVE sylenth1, and had over 100 soundsets in it...a significant investment. but it's not being updated to 64bit. and i WANT to work in logic X, so...we find workarounds, new tools....whatever it takes.

if the developers don't keep up with changing OS's, apps...that's on them. i just want to get back to work..

Edited by fisherking

I have tried Sylenth via Vienna Ensamble and it works fine BUT theres one problem. I cant make the automation work and I dont think theres any work around this. Any body has another suggestion. Cuz im like many others I need my sylenth. So if not I will stick with Logic 9 until a solution is found.

Seems Lennar might be working on it:

1959349137_Nyttkuva2013-07-18kohteessa18.7.-16_11_33.jpg.5245d08f3ed5ee1e464d70aa0f6518f1.jpg

Obviously, this is just someone claiming so on the Sylenth support forum, but it seems legit. Fingers crossed. I think Lennar hasn't been putting much effort on the synth because so many people use cracked version of it, but I'm sure a 64bit version would be VERY welcome, and he could hook up with someone to do a good copy protection, maybe some crackers finally would pony up the $ this time. Like I said, fingers crossed!

I don't know if emailing him about this will encourage or irritate him (or slow him down), but here's the address: support@lennardigital.com.

Seems Lennar might be working on it:

[attachment=0]Näyttökuva 2013-07-18 kohteessa 18.7. - 16.11.33.jpg[/attachment]

Obviously, this is just someone claiming so on the Sylenth support forum, but it seems legit. Fingers crossed. I think Lennar hasn't been putting much effort on the synth because so many people use cracked version of it, but I'm sure a 64bit version would be VERY welcome, and he could hook up with someone to do a good copy protection, maybe some crackers finally would pony up the $ this time. Like I said, fingers crossed!

I don't know if emailing him about this will encourage or irritate him (or slow him down), but here's the address: support@lennardigital.com.

it's a rumor, allegedly an email from lennard. highly suspect. lennard is responsive with tech issues, but never discusses updates, etc. so...i gave up. switching to Spire, a reasonable contender as an S1 replacement (and using LX's arp with it...nice!)

and the point is? i LOVE sylenth1, and had over 100 soundsets in it...a significant investment. but it's not being updated to 64bit. and i WANT to work in logic X, so...we find workarounds, new tools....whatever it takes.

if the developers don't keep up with changing OS's, apps...that's on them. i just want to get back to work..

The point is that not everyone can afford to be spending nearly 200 euro on a synth (Sylenth), 180 euro on a new DAW, and then more again on another synth to replace the initial one - it only makes sense that people are looking for a workaround - I'm sure we would all rather do it differently but not everyone can afford to just throw away an expensive (it's all relative) piece of equipment.

The point is that not everyone can afford to be spending nearly 200 euro on a synth (Sylenth), 180 euro on a new DAW, and then more again on another synth to replace the initial one - it only makes sense that people are looking for a workaround - I'm sure we would all rather do it differently but not everyone can afford to just throw away an expensive (it's all relative) piece of equipment.

yes, but some of these workarounds are FAR more expensive than, say, a new plugin... plus, you can always sell your license (for most plugins).. for example, at kvraudio (where i sold sylenth1 just this morning)...

Well yeah, I don't agree with going out and buying VEP for example just to host sylenth. I am keen to explore the reaper/rewire route which is obviously a lot cheaper. I'll test it out on Logic 9 when I get a chance. Opening another DAW could hit the CPU usage, but I don't know how bad it would be. How much did you get for Sylenth?

Well yeah, I don't agree with going out and buying VEP for example just to host sylenth. I am keen to explore the reaper/rewire route which is obviously a lot cheaper. I'll test it out on Logic 9 when I get a chance. Opening another DAW could hit the CPU usage, but I don't know how bad it would be. How much did you get for Sylenth?

you could keep L9, just to work out S1 parts, then bounce to audio, bring into LX. but for me...i don't want ANYTHING getting in the way of my workflow, so i gave S1 up. if lennard ever graces us with a 64bit AU...i can always bring it back...

I have tried Sylenth via Vienna Ensamble and it works fine BUT theres one problem. I cant make the automation work and I dont think theres any work around this. Any body has another suggestion. Cuz im like many others I need my sylenth. So if not I will stick with Logic 9 until a solution is found.

This may help: How to use MIDI CC to control (or automate) Vienna Instrument Pro instruments within Vienna Ensemble using Logic

Will Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 work for using IK Multimedia Sampletron? Sampletron is one of the main things I use in my projects for all the groovy mellotron sounds and now that I have installed Logic Pro X, it is not currently working so I am assuming it is 32 bit as well.

What would be the best work around for that other than Vienna Ensemble Pro 5?

Thank you!

JW

I use Plogue Bidule as an AU plugin together with JBridge. Works well. They just updated the Plogue AU to work with Logic X so make sure you get the latest version.

The latest version I'm finding is the same as the one I already had installed (v. 0.9730, 24 april 2013). For some reason when I load it (either as an instrument or audio effect), the editor window i nowhere to be found. Any ideas?

Bidule.png.5c7c5a633aecf775007a945268c53d45.png

J.