Navigating with a Scroll-wheel mouse, Surfing without!

David Nahmani

If you are the lucky owner of a scroll-wheel mouse (who isn't?), then you can easily navigate Logic's editor windows using these shortcuts:

Scroll Up/Down: Move Up/Down

Command + Shift + Scroll: Move Left/Right

Option + Scroll: Vertical Zoom In/Out

Option+Command + Scroll: Horizontal Zoom In/Out

Option+Control + Scroll: Zoom In/Out

Now to really "SURF" the Editors in Logic, simply hold Control + Shift while clicking in the background. Move the mouse up, down, left or right and... SURF! For advanced surfing, try moving both down and right, up and left... at the same time!

Note: Surfing in Logic can be a little disconcerting at first: moving the mouse to the left moves the editor window to the right, moving the mouse up moves the window downwards... so to get your brain in sync with what you're doing, picture yourself "grabbing" the editor through the window and moving it around, much like you would grab a microfilm and move it around to see what you want through the window.*

Enjoy! :D

*This behavior has changed in Logic Pro 7.1: now you simply move the mouse in the direction you want the window to move, just like a 2D scrollbar.

Edited by David Nahmani
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
........much like you would grab a microfilm and move it around to see what you want through the window.

Wow ! Haven't used one of those things since college library, David.

Are they still around ?

The girls in the office here think your pic makes you look like one of those magicians who read minds ....................

They really should get out more :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi: While we're on the subject of a scroll-wheel mouse, any good recommendations for a two-button, scroll wheel mouse to use with Logic Pro? Wireless would be an added touch, but not absolutley necessary. Thanks.

I find Logitech mice to be of good value/quality.

If you don't need cordless, go for a corded mouse. You'll never have to recharge your mouse in the middle of a long session!

I use something simple like this:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2142,CONTENTID=5928

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/746.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Vank I agree totally!@!

What's even MOER frustating is that the direction has changed in the arrange but NOT in the matrix editor window!

Apple ...that's really lame!

They need to pay careful attention to what they are doing and make things consistent.

Stef

I don't use that tool all that much but I believe that if Apple changed it, it's probably because a lot of users requested it. However, it seems like it would be easy to add a little checkbox in your preferences, something like "Old style navigation tool (inverted)", to let all of use decide for ourselves what is better.

• 6 months later...

Note: Surfing in Logic can be a little disconcerting at first: moving the mouse to the left moves the editor window to the right, moving the mouse up moves the window downwards... so to get your brain in sync with what you're doing, picture yourself "grabbing" the editor through the window and moving it around, much like you would grab a microfilm and move it around to see what you want through the window.*

Enjoy! :D

*This behavior has changed in Logic Pro 7.1: now you simply move the mouse in the direction you want the window to move, just like a 2D scrollbar.

I just got a mighty mouse. I'm kind of wondering why I bothered, rather than get a regular three or five button mouse from Kensington or Logitech. But I had the old one button mouse before so this is definitely an improvement. The one thing I love now is if I want to scroll smoothly one way or the other in a Logic window, I hold down the mouse wheel (ball) and drag just like I've always done with shift-control drag before. This is way better. You can just nudge it gently and hold the mouse still and watch the window slooowly scroll by if you want. But that right click "button" on the mighty mouse is definitely fiddly, you actually have to lift your finger OFF the left side of the mouse to make the right click work properly! Not the greatest way of implemetning it, Apple.

One thing about the Logitech (5 button mouse) it has this nice feature where clicking the wheel and dragging will also scroll web pages, either direction, in the same manner that this function works in Logic. But I can't get the mightymouse to do that with web pages. One plus with the mighty mouse is the side buttons have become "desktop" with expose.

That right click's a bugger though. Don't like that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

that's odd camillo

multi-direction scrolling web pages with the scroll wheel button works fine with my mighty mouse as long as my browser window has somewhere to scroll to

Agree 100% with you that the MM right click is annoying - you have to get used to lifiting up your finger rather than sliding it across. I don't know if i ever will get used to that!

However, sooner or later EVERYthing 3rd party that needs a driver has proven to be a pain in the ass for me... (including mice and tablets) that's why i went with the apple mouse.

I use microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse, they support the Mac very well with own control panels where you can set up lots of things.

Yes this has improved navigating and zooming very much.

The keyboard feels much better for my taste, the mac stuff is too "light" Imho. But that's not the topic, I know.

best

u

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use the 4 button w/scroll Kensinton and always felt like I had to worry about the side buttons. I've traded it in for the new Kensignton PilotMouse Optical which is a two button with scroll wheel. The profile of this one is rather high which is very comfortable and has helped my writst a ton. Anyway, check it out...I can't recommend it enough. They also have a wireless but it eats batteries.

Sometimes less is more.

• 6 months later...
Now to really "SURF" the Editors in Logic, simply hold Control + Shift while clicking in the background. Move the mouse up, down, left or right and... SURF!

And if you are still click-holding with the mouse, Let go of Control and Shift and press Option to change to Zoom

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Kenisngon Trackball with the big wheel AROUND the ball! All the different zooming key commands work great with the big wheel.

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html

and I've programed the button so that the lower left is 'clik', upper left is 'double clik', upper right selects a programmable tool, and bottom right brings up the floating tool bar.

wheee.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
i dont know if this is old news but i just discovered if you click on the floating transport while using the scrollwheel on your mouse you can zoom in/out and resize the transport bar.

Edit:click on transport window then hold down the alt key then use scroll wheel to zoom in/out

• 2 months later...
Now to really "SURF" the Editors in Logic, simply hold Control + Shift while clicking in the background. Move the mouse up, down, left or right and... SURF! For advanced surfing, try moving both down and right, up and left... at the same time!

Not sure where I am using this. I tried it in the arrange window, as well as sample and hyper editor. I get the microfilm analogy, just not sure where to use it in logic. I tried this key combination and mouse action but can't seem to evoke the cool microfilm surfing.... I'm still learning logic so what am I missing?

UPDATE: I figured it out. I tried to come back and delete this post but couldn't figure that out now!!! How do you delete a post???

i dont know if this is old news but i just discovered if you click on the floating transport while using the scrollwheel on your mouse you can zoom in/out and resize the transport bar.

:D

Thanks for the tip!

i

• 2 months later...
I don't use that tool all that much but I believe that if Apple changed it, it's probably because a lot of users requested it. However, it seems like it would be easy to add a little checkbox in your preferences, something like "Old style navigation tool (inverted)", to let all of use decide for ourselves what is better.

I'm wondering if this has ever been addressed.

Oh, I really, really, really hope it has. It is just about the only way I zoom, and so far the difference between L7 and L8 is just *killing* me. This should *really* be something that is user-definable, a la key commands. The modifier keys were slightly different in L6, i seem to remember, so it is something they keep changing.

HELP!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

And if you are still click-holding with the mouse, Let go of Control and Shift and press Option to change to Zoom

Or just hold on the click and still move, this changes to "grab" the window.

You can go to control+shift again or change back to option.

This is cool.

Nick

• 2 months later...