Resolving Project File Size "Blooming"

Mouse_SF

I have been a Logic user since version 1, so finding new tricks doesn't happen every day for me. Here is a great one. Since Logic Pro X was released I occasionally encounter what I have coined "Blooming", when you are saving projects in Folder Mode. Like many producers, every time I work on a project I duplicate the previous days' file and append a new number, ie. Project_01, Project_02, etc. I have found that many projects will begin to dramatically increase their file size, sometimes to many GB. This should not occur in Folder mode, as the audio files are not included in the file size. If your file size exceeds 1 GB you are definitely experiencing Blooming. I have seen this in multiple studios and setups. Here is how you resolve Blooming:

1) Open your Bloomed File

2) Save as a Template (this should take a minute or 2)

3) Close the file

4) Select "New file from Template" and select the template you just saved from the Bloomed file

5) After it has opened "Save as" into the file's original folder under a new name.

6) Close the file, I usually save it again when prompted

7) Open your Project folder and check out your new skinny file. Congrats, you did it!

8) You can now safely delete the Bloomed file and the Template you created to resolve the issue.

I have saved hundreds of GB using this technique. It's 100% effective, and I have been testing it for over a month. Always works. Enjoy!

• Like 1