Don't Be Like Me; Dumb Mistakes That Cost Me Hours The track that wouldn't mute

kingminotaur

Today I wasted about an hour trying to figure out why a GTR track with a region WOULDN'T MUTE. I tried turning OFF the track, eventually even deleted region and the whole track and it still kept sounding!!

I tried soloing the bass track and it still sounded.

If it seems obvious, it took me a. w h. i. l. e to figure it out.

SOLUTION:

I recorded the bass track AFTER the guitar track already existed, and through some dumb routing error ( IDK exactly, something with input monitoring probably)

the existing guitar track was mixed in with the bass track, so the "bass track" was really a "guitar and bass" track.

Wasted a lot of time, about an hour, and also I don't have a separate bass track. Don't be like me lol.

That’s actually the valuable part after thinking about it-how not to do that. It raises 2 questions:

1) what would be the output routing of an existing track Such that it’s mixed in with the new solo ( I thought) track

I think it might have something to do with what’s coming through the interface

2) what are general preventives— maybe to have organized, standardized routing so less chance of surprises.

I’ve been experimenting with doing parallel routing so I’ve been having organizational problems. Possibly I routed into an aux on which I also recorded? IDK I flattened a bunch of buses to try to reduce complexity.

One thing I am trying to do is click on track protect when I get a take I like.

But that doesn’t prevent my blunder:this accidental mixing like I described can’t be undone: your new track is contaminated from the start with the mixed in unwanted other track.