Lua Scripting

I just stumbled upon this cool open source freeware scripting plugin that some of you may be interested in, thought I'd share. Its called ProtoPlug and it is available as both AU and VST, on all platforms. Very similar to Scripter in a lot of ways, but has more GUI options and access to the file system, unlike Scripter that is a bit more limiting. It does not, however, provide articulationID information per event, like Scripter does.

Here is the main website for it: https://www.osar.fr/protoplug/

They do not yet provided an AU-MFX version of the plugin. However I used their source and built an AU-MFX version, which you can find attached here to this post. Also a VST3 version of FX and Instrument are provided here for now. It seems to work in LogicPro just great as expected!

Lua Protoplug Mfx.component.zip

LuaProtoPlugVST3.7z.zip

I'm pretty impressed with it so far... Mostly I'm working on articulation related scripting at the moment, and articulationID is an important part of that, so I don't think I can use it at the moment. But the nice thing about this plugin is that it could be used in other hosts...Cubase, Reaper, whatever you want...and you'd be able to use the same script across those other hosts. It also can do audio manipulation with the non-mfx version of the plugin. Its more like BlueCatAudio's scripting plugin in that regard... I like it better then BlueCatAudio's actually...the GUI support is better in my opinion...and did I mention its free?

Edited by Dewdman42

I installed the latest version (v.1.4.0) as instructed on OASR website, but whenever I try to use it, it shows the same error:

59:51 - Error: Could not load libluajit-5.1.so. Tried /Users/[username]/Documents/ProtoplugFiles/lib/libluajit-5.1.so and system path.

The digits at the beginning (59:51) change at every attempt, but the remainder of the error message repeats as is, at every attempt.

I checked and confirm that the reported file (libluajit-5.1.so) is actually in that proper location.

The same error message appears in both versions (as in your MIDI FX version or as in the Gen instrument version).

In the Logic's Plugin Manager, all 3 instances (Fx, Gen and Mfx) appear as successfully validated.

Any idea to solve the issue?

Edited by Atlas007

FYI, I am not the developer. That website has a link to the author's GitHub project and you can stay updated to its progress if you sign on to GitHub and click the watch button. the only thing I did was download his source, change a couple of settings and compile it for MFX and VST3.

It may be a while before I get around to actually trying any LUA scripting, only because I am halfway into a large Scripter project I'm working on related to articulation handling, and for the time being the only way to access articulationID, is through Scripter, so I'm sticking with that for now. But when its all done I have some ideas about how to possibly make it work without articulationID and I may try to convert it to LUA at that point..which would be useful for other DAW's like Cubase. Also this LuaScript has the possibility to read data files from the filesystem, and can include source from script libraries and many other benefits that make it a much nicer environment then Scripter in many ways. Also it has MUCH richer GUI tools then Scripter. So I definitely will get to it at some point, but for the next few months at least, I'm in deep with Scripter and javascript.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

One thing I'll point about about this is, currently Logic already supports Lua scripting.

When I'm debugging my AUv3 app extension, I get reminded of a Lua script error which I'll investiage later.

1403888387_LuainLogicProX.thumb.png.5803ee13a4d4c8b23d2bf219a13e2c2b.png

How you access this isn't documented.

I would recomment sticking with Scripter or writing an Objective-C/Swift MidiFx plug-in instead.

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, Dewdman42 said:

It’s been a while since I used that and I don’t remember how I got past code signing issue.  Blame apple.  I don’t have access to a mac right now unfortunately in order to try to help you sorry.

I understand, good news though! I got it to work by temporarily disabling the security thingy and it's now working in Logic 🙂 I've set my security settings back to "App Store and identified developers" so it's all good.