Midi transform crescendo doesn't work on Note Pitches

Mechanica

I don't know if this is a bug, but it certainly isn't a feature. The MIDI transform function to crescendo a value over time doesn't work when applied to note pitches. It just moves all the pitches to the highest or lowest note on the piano roll, depending on wether you entered a crescendo or decrescendo. The dumb dumb dumb (dumb, dumb...) workaround is to crescendo your velocity, then patch the velocity to the pitch and process again, but this is dumb. It works, but it's dumb. Just glad this isn't a function I need with any kind of frequency. That's all folks.

-M.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

David, I really appreciate your response and seemingly bottomless willingness to help. Thanks to your prompting, I figured out the issue:

In the midi transform window, values used in the "Position" condition used to be based on absolute bar/beat numbers. In recent versions (not sure how recent) they've changed it to operate relative to the first note of your selection. At least, where velocity is concerned. So that was my issue. Velocities use the new relative interpretation of the "Position" values, while pitch uses the legacy, absolute interpretation.

In summary, it works but it's quirky. They ought to make the "Position" condition consistently interpreted across parameters. I'd still say this is a sort of a bug.