Playhead Issues

tbbarker10

Recently, around the time that I upgraded to 10.5, I have had some playhead issues while working on LPX. The playhead gets stuck and only plays about a millisecond of the track and I cannot get it to keep playing past that millisecond. I have to restart Logic every time and it is beginning to happen more frequently. So far, I have only found it to happen on one project. I have frozen all of the tracks I am not working on and the HD and CPU meters are reading low. When the loop cycle is toggled off, the playhead just jumps back a little bit when I press the space bar but wont go forward (play).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is making getting any work done almost impossible.

Same issue here. Full restart of Logic appears to be the only way of fixing it - reopening the project doesn't work for me.

Also only appears to happen on projects of mine that include the new step sequencer.

I am not using the new step sequencer on the project that this is happening on.

Glad to know its happening to others (well, of course not glad that its happening to yall but you know what I mean ;) ).

Same issue here. Full restart of Logic appears to be the only way of fixing it - reopening the project doesn't work for me.

Also only appears to happen on projects of mine that include the new step sequencer.

I am not using the new step sequencer on the project that this is happening on.

Glad to know its happening to others (well, of course not glad that its happening to yall but you know what I mean ;) ).

Ah yes, I've just had it happen with an older project too.

Haha, I feel ya. Hopefully this can get sorted ASAP as it's extremely disruptive.

It's because the Mac OS uses the Space Bar as a shortcut for "Quick Look." It's super annoying because Logic 10.4 didn't have this problem. I can't figure out how to let Logic use the space bar for play. I've tried to reprogram the "Quick Look" OS function, but I can't find out how to do that either.

It's because the Mac OS uses the Space Bar as a shortcut for "Quick Look." It's super annoying because Logic 10.4 didn't have this problem. I can't figure out how to let Logic use the space bar for play. I've tried to reprogram the "Quick Look" OS function, but I can't find out how to do that either.

Interesting. So has anyone made any progress on this issue yet?

Hey guys, same problem here. It is not a quick look bug I think... it doesn't matter how old the project are. I tried everything and I think its a problem with MIDI-regions. Suddenly the playhead stuck and when I press spacebar OR click play with the mouse, the playhead jumps and I hear 0,5 milliseconds sound. Annoying! I have to restart the app and then its random when the bug comes bug.

Only solution for me - overwrite logic 10.5 with a older version from time machine. Hopefully apple will release a update. :-/

Hey guys, same problem here. It is not a quick look bug I think... it doesn't matter how old the project are. I tried everything and I think its a problem with MIDI-regions. Suddenly the playhead stuck and when I press spacebar OR click play with the mouse, the playhead jumps and I hear 0,5 milliseconds sound. Annoying! I have to restart the app and then its random when the bug comes bug.

Only solution for me - overwrite logic 10.5 with a older version from time machine. Hopefully apple will release a update. :-/

Thanks for the insight!

I had that problem on the last 2 versions of Logic, but it was very rare..

now on 10.5 it is happening several times a session.. Can't discern that I'm doing the same steps to make it happen.. When it happens I save the current version of song. restart Logic. On the previous version I went to the whole trouble of importing into a new project. but it didn't happen very often.. Today 10.5 did it about 6 times over several hours.

Yes! That's what I had to do as well. Having to stop and think "Shift + space bar" was actually such a time suck that the update wasn't worth it for me. When/if I start doing more MIDI I'll upgrade and tray again.

I stopped using the spacebar for play, used mouse on transport, didn't freeze up as much. But it did freeze up with mouse on transport. I then shut off WIFI and quit Safari, and one other program. Just Logic and RME software for sound. Seemed to be less problematic, but still an issue. It's much worse in 10.5 than it was in 10.4.8 and version before. It was rare in those two versions. not very often.

I look at my activity monitor. There are so may processes there. The majority of them very very intermittent.

I have a techno genius with a PC, he spent about a week, weeding out all the processes a PC does. googling them taking them/dumping/or putting back in. He said his PC never ran so smooth.

I'm not a computer jockey, but I've used them for almost for many decades. I'm wondering if some other process happens at the same time, processor is polling the keyboard? Thinking outloud. The stuck playhead doesn't corrupt the file.. You can still save it, quit and restart Logic. The next freeze does not happen at the same place.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it bad now and that ain't good. the 17ms lockup. I went back to 10.4.8. Locking up just as often, back to 10.5.5 Now I can do about 3 actions, and it locks up.. Just hit save, quit and restart. I guess when I get really fed up, I'll import into a new project and see if that helps.. often solves many problems.

All I can do is not have virtual instruments on, (except currently working Superior Drum 3.. It's not the plug-in, Tried other VI's appears to lock up with anything.

Anyone one else solve it?

Hello everyone, I have unfortunately still no solution and switched back to 10.4.8.

In the apple-forum they have also tried everything possible but so far nothing has worked 100%. However, I also noticed that apple knows about it and they seem to be working on it. The only thing we can do now is wait. Important - in any case, you should send a bug report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Another observation, I neglected to mention. While Play does't work.. (it plays like 15 ms. and stops). You can save your file. You can also continue to use the Transform function. Those are the only two other things I tried, cause obviously you need to get play working. But since those work, I'm goin to try different processes..

The solution for now, is to save file, (same name or change change name, I just add a number after, i.e. song 1, song 2, song 3, etc. Quit Logic and restart.

Logic NEVER locks up at the same place. So i don't believe it is a corrupted song.

I HAVE NOT gone thru the effort of IMPORTING song into a new Template.. That always fixes corrupted songs.

Going back to 10.4,8 did't make any difference to me. The lock up has become very bad.. Having to restart Logic 15 - 25 times an hour, assuming I'm making adjustments, Hitting SPACE BAR, or clicking PLAY button DOESN'T make a difference either