One or multiple audio files changed in length

cocoroman

Was working in a new arrangement, so I've saved before I went to Dinner. When I came back; I saw this: One or multiple audio files changed in length.

Obviously whole Guitar track that I've been working on, just gone, and they repeat them selfs. And has an image as I have cut them. So the Guitar track is ruined.

Means, I will have to restart whole Guitar track again. Is it because yesterday I have updated to 10.4.7?.

If anyone can tell me, how to get back those edits again, will be very thankful..

Hi Atlas007, I had a backup on the other Hard Drive, which I always do. Well it shows same mistake too. Yes, Life's a bitch, and then ...... I'll try with the UNDO's but it's gonna change so many things in the arrangement. Will see,

I'll let you know how it went. Thanks for your reply..

O.K, I'm telling this again, there is even, NO Undo Historie in history.. Btw, while the Guitar track is not usable anymore. Also the main Singers track is not in it's place, so I have to do whole those tracks again. Which will cost me whole night btw. Thanks Logic, you did it again.

O.K, I'm telling this again, there is even, NO Undo Historie in history.. Btw, while the Guitar track is not usable anymore. Also the main Singers track is not in it's place, so I have to do whole those tracks again. Which will cost me whole night btw. Thanks Logic, you did it again.
Your (singer and guitar) audio recordings should still be there in your project audio browser. It should be just a matter of lining them up back in place in the tracks area...

Make sure you don't put anything before 1 1 1 1 in your project.

Thanks again Atlas007, well, my singer has sent me the audio files on "WeTransfer" so which I have copied to in the working Logic same file. All was working well. Now, if I put the Guitar or Singer Vox. It will cut them as I have never did it before. Even there are some parts are missing. Believe me I did tried every possibilities, so means: I'll have to go for whole night and place them and cut them again.

I had a few surprises from Logic until now. But this is the big one. Anyway, the Score part is unusable and very complicated. I really think, I should change my system. It is not for a professional musicians I guess. You can never do an Audio reliable edit in LPX. I'm sure many people does, but some how it is very complicate and not for professionals. Sorry to say this. And btw, the Audio edit is very slow and old against the other Music Softs...

I understand your frustration.

Logic can indeed be quite finciky to work with.

And it does require from the user a specific workflow to yield satisfactory results.

However, once one knows the proper method to achieve the intended goals, and its inherent pitfalls, Logic reveals to be a very powerful tool.

Other softwares advantageously rival with Logic in some aspects.

However, I don't know any that don't have their own share of bugs and caveats.

Scoring isn't a Logic strength, if used as copyist approach, because it wasn't designed for same. It was designed to create a score from an actual recorded performance, which is totally different paradigm in terms of workflow.

Anyhow, I wish you the very best luck on your new system's quest.

I feel sorry for you. I also got this message a few times over the last 20 years, not knowing exactly what it caused. But I am always scared for some reasons. It's a bad message..., undo is not possible because (I'm guessing) the audio file itself is corrupted - from logic or not. And then, Logic doesn't tell which file(s) is/are affected. It only counts the affected regions, which isn't very helpful, if a lot of audio files (so a vast number of regions) are corrupted. All the best.

When audio files are moving from places to places the way you describe, it could be due to some anchor confusion (or absence of same). To prevent same, it is advisable to import the foreign audio files in the audio project browser first, and then from the project browser to the tracks. Another important concept to keep in mind is that the audio files are having a life of their own out of Logic. Meaning that if you mess around with an audio files outside Logic, while the same file is part of a project, one risk to affect its embedded metadata, and consequently will affect the way Logic. interprete same...

Thus, for the above reasons, when working on a sensitive project, it is recommended to use a copy of the audio file(s) in Logic. Which copy should remain reserved for use within Logic only.

I feel sorry for you. I also got this message a few times over the last 20 years, not knowing exactly what it caused. But I am always scared for some reasons. It's a bad message..., undo is not possible because (I'm guessing) the audio file itself is corrupted - from logic or not. And then, Logic doesn't tell which file(s) is/are affected. It only counts the affected regions, which isn't very helpful, if a lot of audio files (so a vast number of regions) are corrupted. All the best.

Hi Logicben, well this is the situation for the moment. As Ive said, I had a few bad problems before. But this one is real the bad one. Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply..

When audio files are moving from places to places the way you describe, it could be due to some anchor confusion (or absence of same). To prevent same, it is advisable to import the foreign audio files in the audio project browser first, and then from the project browser to the tracks. Another important concept to keep in mind is that the audio files are having a life of their own out of Logic. Meaning that if you mess around with an audio files outside Logic, while the same file is part of a project, one risk to affect its embedded metadata, and consequently will affect the way Logic. interprete same...

Thus, for the above reasons, when working on a sensitive project, it is recommended to use a copy of the audio file(s) in Logic. Which copy should remain reserved for use within Logic only.

Yes, which I did copy same folder to another hard disk. First I have downloaded to the File folder that I have created. And after copied whole to the songs working folder. But still it was playing it crazy. Well, as you say, no Music Software is sure for that. maybe you'll remember, when I was scoring for the "Royal Philharmonic Orchestra" I tried with Logic's Score function. Believe me, it was so complicated. I remember, you said that I should contact Peter Schwartz for this. Obviously he was a big help. But we all finished with "Sibelius" even peter said, Logiic's Scoring is not usable. Thanks again for your input on this.

[WORKAROUND]

I stumbled upon an interesting article. The author is not only analysing the issue "One or more audio files changed in length", he also developed a piece of software, which may repair corrupted files.

http://www.davehofmann.de/when-logic-destroys-your-audio-files/

EDIT: This link no longer works, the new link is: https://www.davidpace.de/when-logic-destroys-your-audio-files/

• Like 1

I stumbled upon an interesting article. The author is not only analysing the issue "One or more audio files changed in length", he also developed a piece of software, which may repair corrupted files.

Woah. That's really helpful. David, can you please pin this in Bugs & Workarounds ? Thanks.

Woah. That's really helpful. David, can you please pin this in Bugs & Workarounds ? Thanks.

Definitely.

• 1 year later...

I don't think Apple made something about this Fix? Or I didn't follow. But now, I have whole project saved in one Place. Now, every song shows 0 byte. Normally each song would show, some hundred MB's, obviously they are all gone?? And that was 4 years ago. But I saved it. After moved to another backup disk, now all project is showing 0 byte.

Cheers everybody 8-)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had this happen in the latest Logic 10.7.9 recently without any of the usual scapegoats people bring up (external drives, cloud sync, externally editing your files simultaneously, buffer sizes, sample rates, etc). Luckily it was a very plain use case so I can say this is still occasionally an issue and doesn’t need any weird workflow to cause it. Opened Logic on a week-old M1 Studio with an internal SSD, dragged plain old audio in from Finder, on my internal drive, into a session on my internal drive, and edited with fades and cross fades. Only Logic from start to finish. No external applications, no external editors, no cloud sync, nothing. Edited for a hour or two, session was fine, closed Logic, went to In-n-Out Burger, reopened it and the file all the regions were pointing to was now 40KB in size.

The only clue I can think of is that at some moment I did accidentally hit the W key and quickly closed the sample editor because it was in the way of what I was looking at. I made no edits, just closed it as soon as it was opened.

The easiest workaround for this is to keep a backup of the Audio Files folder. I’m leaning towards a script that keeps a single backup whenever I press Save. Then if I ever see the error about audio file length changing I can just go back in time slightly. Time Machine can help too, but the backups might be too far apart.

Edited by sunbrother

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...