Integrated Sidechain (not plugin dependent)

bigramp

Hi

Modern mixing methods involves more and more sidechain, often using plugins such as LFOTool or VolumeShaper ... This trick is quite old, yet not a single DAW thought of implementing straight into the DAW code, instead we have to rely on third party plugins. This makes things too complicated for what a simple thing. I personnally use two sidechain tracks = one for kick and one for snare. Everything goes through it, except the kick and snare of course.

When exporting stems, you have to make sure you select the tracks with the sidechain on it, or else you can restart all over again.... And believe me no matter how hard i try to remind me of doing it, i always forgot a few times....

Please, Logic Pro programmers, be the first to integrate a full fledged, simple to use, super clean and export friendly sidechain feature right into logic pro ! It's about time someone does it !

• 2 months later...

It's not really clear to me what you're asking for. Do you want a sidechain dialog box on every plugin window (including ones that don't support it)? Or a built-in plugin utility for sidechain ducking (which logic has plenty of, such as Phat-FX or Compressor etc etc)? Or to automatically detect sidechain routing on a bounce and auto-select tracks to include (which is not desirable behavior for everyone to have as default)?

I don't mean to be rude but it's very hard to tell what you're asking for...

just an option to create a NEW SIDECHAIN TRACK. When you click on this track, a window appears letting you select which tracks / groups are affected by the sidechain + an envelope curve editor. On the timeline, you can trigger the sidechain with midi regions, just like a regular midi track.

No need for complex bus / midi routing, no need for a 3rd party plugin, no latency issues (which are common if you bus groups through sidechain and they have plugins on them).

Sidechain is too complicated right now, for absolutely no reason. It should be SIMPLE, and built WITHIN the DAW.

• 4 weeks later...

This doesn't clear it up for me.

So okay, I get now that you want a new category of track like there is audio or software instrument, etc. This would be called a "Sidechain Track". It would be controlled by MIDI and presumably affect some parameter by some kind of sidechaining, and you can somehow specify which it affects. This is where I start to get lost.

Are you wanting this track to just control volume for something like sidechain ducking? Or is it more like an effects strip (aux / bus)? So then lets say that it IS basically an aux controlled by MIDI on the lane, which is fine. How do you propose to have an envelope control specific parameters? There is already a solution in logic which would be to use MIDI-FX plugins and have them learn the automation parameter, although iirc this must be used on the same track as inserted upon. So maybe a more convenient feature request would be to allow this learn parameter work for automatable parameters on any track.

The only thing this doesn't tackle is being able to do all the sidechain routing on that same track. While I could see this as being convenient, I can also see it being very confusing, having to track down a moving parameter somewhere in a mix that has no visual correspondence on the actual track itself. Unless this routing feature would automatically place a send or something and show up on that track.

Am I getting this right? Again it's still not super clear to me, and from what I can presently gather it seems like a lot of important little details to leave out on such a large idea to implement. If it were presented well I think I could get a feel for it a little better and it could totally be something that I'd be really interested in, but as of right now I am actually very happy with how easy it is to achieve sidechain-styled effects in Logic.