Total Rookie Looking for wisdom

Swansuite

Okay, so first, my apologies.... I am VERY, very new to this recording stuff and a VERY old man. Long-time semi-pro singer/songwriter who is finally looking to record my stuff and perhaps put a bit of polish and production to the final product. I tried GarageBand, went insane trying to troubleshoot an issue that even Apple Support had difficulty figuring out (turns out you cannot use two USB inputs and record simultaneously!). That brought me to Logic Pro, which is utterly intimidating. I plan on buying David's book, but I'm concerned that it might be a tough read for a guy who really doesn't know the ropes at all. So my question is..... is David's book a good place to start for a newb or is there another read that would be a better introductory start, with David's book following close on its heels? I'm really just looking to do some very basic guitar, voice, harmonies, keys kind of production. The full symphony will come later (lol)!

David's book is notoriously a reference as it takes you by the hand and guide you through the learning process on a logical step by step method.

Additionally, the author hosts and attends very actively this very site.

Besides, many other attendees (like myself) will graciously try to help you along the way.

Logic will permit you to record (up to) 16 different MIDI instruments at once, providing that you connect them to a MIDI interface.

I don't know if you can record at the same time audio and MIDI. But I would believe so.

• 1 month later...

I think it's a good book. Logic Pro 9 was the deal when I bought my copy, and I learned a lot. I'm 64 now and still learning.

The trick is to learn how to do just a few things, then record some music using just those few things. Heck, I started out with a mic and a tape recorder, in the 1970s, so anything extra is a bonus.

Once you started to get to grips with recording and playback, then you can venture out into other areas, as your personal needs dictate. Although you can read David's book in a linear fashion – and there are also media files to help you follow along – you can also dip into it when you need a guide to a particular topic.

You may never know everything Logic Pro X can do. Then again, you have no need to. :D

Also just noticed this. "Yes, you can, and I do it all the time." My new keyboard can send both audio and MIDI information down the USB pipe at the same time, and I simply add an "External MIDI" track and an "Audio" track at the same time, then record-enable both. Usually ... :roll: ... it works. And, when it does, I now have captured both the performance and this keyboard's rendering of it. (I have since learned how to edit the MIDI performance, then to cause the instrument to re-render the corresponding audio.)