Calling all plug-in developers to start getting their stuff compatible with macOS Big Sur...

I was actually doing a contract on the inside of the Infinite Loop during the Lion days, and it was from there that I learned that (at the time ...) there were alternating "big" and "little" releases. The latter being where they basically swept-up the stuff that they got wrong last time. I get the sense that Catalina was one of those "little" ones, and that Big Sur will bring out a lot more stuff.

Nevertheless, when any OS release comes out, I take the attitude that "Software like fine wine – let it age." There will be a quick flurry of bug-fix updates immediately after the release, such that it can save you a lot of hassle to wait even just three or four weeks after "date zero" before actually doing the install for the first time on your machine(s). (And, if you're in the middle of a big time-deadlined project, of course never install an update before the deadline has passed!)

I suppose that by now I won't be violating any non-disclosure agreements if I observe that, at the time of Lion's release, there were more than twenty-four hundred open problem-reports (that I could see ...) in Apple's internal RADAR system. (Yes, "every single thing, no matter how 'slight' or not-so 'slight,'" is tracked. Forever.)

As we all now know, "that big cat, like all the others, actually did just fine."

(And, as a professional software developer myself, I'm not at all surprised – many folks would never dream that such a thing as I described is actually quite typical. The consensus was that Lion was ready – and, indeed, it was.)