Any thoughts on Kemper Profiler Amp???

deckard1

Hello,

Anyone here have a Kemper Profiler Amp? I purchased mine approximately three weeks ago. Just curious as to what your thoughts are regarding how authentic the overdriven/distorted guitar tones are? For some reason most of the amp profiles sound the same to me. A certain uniformity, if you will. I've played around with the definition, pick attack, sag, and other amp variables on the Kemper...but I still think a real valve amp sounds 'better'. Not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me or not. :lol:

Thanks.

You'll find models for them in a Kemper. Dumble-Style amps (Fuchs ODS, Two-Rock, Bludotone, etc.) feature multistage gain management, and produce an overdrive that is smooth, singing and hairless. Very different from the crunchy Fender/Marshall-style OD that you hear from most amplifiers.

Can you explain what you mean by multistage gain management...how does it work?

Thanks.

Let me contrast two amps in my studio.

First is the Fezzter Prince G., a clone of a tweed Fender Princeton. It has three tubes in it (once 12ax7 for a preamp, one 6L6 for power), and when you crank it, the overdrive you hear is primarily one tube, the 12ax7, being overdriven (power tube overdrive is possible, but you have to dime the amp). This kind of overdrive is crunchy, "hairy," the classic rock and roll OD sound.

The other amp is a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 50, a Dumble clone. Instead of adding gain all at once at just one point in the circuit, the ODS introduces gain at several points along the circuit. Depending on how you set the controls, you can get a huge amount of gain at the output without ever really blasting any one tube... so the result is a long, singing, smooth sustain with very little "grit." This sound is associated with jazz-blues guitarists like Larry Carlton and Robben Ford.

The difference is in what the amp allows you to do in terms of gain staging.

Let me contrast two amps in my studio.

First is the Fezzter Prince G., a clone of a tweed Fender Princeton. It has three tubes in it (once 12ax7 for a preamp, one 6L6 for power), and when you crank it, the overdrive you hear is primarily one tube, the 12ax7, being overdriven (power tube overdrive is possible, but you have to dime the amp). This kind of overdrive is crunchy, "hairy," the classic rock and roll OD sound.

The other amp is a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 50, a Dumble clone. Instead of adding gain all at once at just one point in the circuit, the ODS introduces gain at several points along the circuit. Depending on how you set the controls, you can get a huge amount of gain at the output without ever really blasting any one tube... so the result is a long, singing, smooth sustain with very little "grit." This sound is associated with jazz-blues guitarists like Larry Carlton and Robben Ford.

The difference is in what the amp allows you to do in terms of gain staging.

Very interesting. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Kemper for a couple years now but I've only used it in the studio, not live yet.

Go join the forum and check out this thread https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?thread/43531-what-are-your-hidden-gems-in-rig-exchange-post-your-best-finds-here/&pageNo=1

Also start saving favs you find on Rig Manager into folders. You really have to wade through a lot of terrible sounding profiles to find the real gems or roll your own. I use comp and dirt pedals in front of it because digital dirt pedals sound terrible to me, except fuzz. I often find an amp that's really close to what I need and hit it with a Klon or KOT pedal and it makes a big difference. The Kemper also sounds amazing for bass.

For the occasional gigs I do, an amp works better. If I was touring and had to be on in ears, then I think the Kemper would be a great tool. It's a TON better than plugin amp sims that's for sure.