A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

soccerpie
Topic Author

how to figure out the key of a song - remixing

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:58 pm

I am somewhat new to remixing and would like to remix this song. How do you figure out the key note of a song (using Logic) ?

I don't know if this has been posted before but if any of have any tips or tricks or know how to do this, it would be a great help :)

This is the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHFE0MuCkk: Emma - Crashing Down

Thank you

In the remix pack, it doesn't give any information regarding the key note.

Beer Moth

Re: how to figure out the key of a song - remixing

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:04 pm

If you don't know how to work out the key by ear,Logic is only gonna help you so far.
Music is the answer.

(It's in Gb/F#,btw).
Cloggy,to those who remember.

Sinclair Zx Spectrum,Hollow tubes,string in abundance, 10^15, synapses,except on days off.
iMac27" 3.4Ghz 16GB Logic 10.4

skylark

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Beer Moth wrote:
If you don't know how to work out the key by ear,Logic is only gonna help you so far.

Logic is only gonna help you get so far, even if you do know how to work out the key by ear.
MacPro 8 Core 2.4GHz 24GB RAM • Apogee Symphony 64 2 x 6 • MOTU 424 2408 (2) + 24 i/o (2) • OS 10.14.6 • Logic Pro 10.5.1

soccerpie
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:52 am

I feel like most people just get a simple accoustic instrument and play with it until you find the keys that sound right with the original song. Is that the way to go if the artisit doesn't provide the MIDI files?

Beer Moth

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:00 pm

With a few exceptions,the key is the key.
It's not subjective.
But yes,playing along is as good a way as any to find it.

Sinclair Zx Spectrum,Hollow tubes,string in abundance, 10^15, synapses,except on days off.

liquidlogic

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Typically a good rule of thumb is the chord the song starts with is the Key of the song. If it starts on the V chord you will hear its cadence resolving to a I chord. If not then the last chord of the song is usually a good bet thats the key of the song because the V-I cadence or resolution is what your ear wants to hear for finality.. Also when a verse starts over it usually tags to a 1 chord (the songs key) The vocalist have to find their note with the I chord.

Not being a jerk or anything but Music theory really isn't that hard at all. Take some lessons or hit youtube to learn about chord scales and basic chord progressions. It will really set you free when you are listening to a chord progression go by. Also practice hearing the difference between major and minor. I hear a lot of "Remixers" completely screw this up. They start mixing a major song with minor parts and it sounds stupid. Anyway enjoy
Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz i5
SSD
16 Gig Ram
Glyph External Drive
Motu 828 Mk3
Presonus 16.4.2

Novation Impulse 61

PeterT1

Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Great tips from LiquidLogic above. Many songs do start on the root chord of the key. However in the case of the song above, the key root chord is the third chord you hear (in a 4 chord / 4 bar cycle). This is the chord under the lyrics "...away, ...from myself". The key is minor. Listen to the bass note. This is your key. Something minor. Now work it out. Good luck.
Just love my jazz bands

PeterT1

Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:29 pm

skylark wrote:

Logic is only gonna help you get so far, even if you do know how to work out the key by ear.

Love this!!!

Music rocks. No shortcuts.
When you do it for real you can't beat the feeling.
Just love my jazz bands

ROYALEFATALE

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:53 pm

what i do is open any instrument, usually piano or simple saw-wave synth, loop the chord progression and play along until i find the root key, should only take you a minute or so.
Logic Pro 9.1.7 Mac OS X 10.6.8 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

m.bot

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm not talented and can't figure it out by ear. One of the things I do when I'm trying to find the key of a song is that I would play a note or try to play a solo or melody on a keyboard and try to hear if the notes I played goes well with the song. By doing that I find several notes that match and play and the scale of the key.
Macbook Pro i5. Logic pro 9. Firestudio Mobile

KidFunk

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Use a program called mixed in key :-)

Twister

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:49 am

I agree that many songs start from the key, but that's what makes it a dangerous oversimplification. There are songs that don't even GO to key major or minor. I would recommend starting from picking up the lead melody and see if it matches any diatonic scale. Then if you're unsure, try recognizing chords, figure their tonal structure and compare them to possible diatonic scales. Carrying melodies and chords tend to match the key scales most of the time, while harmonic and melodic minor scales are common in key minor as well. If you need clarification, I can give you an example when I get home.
Macbook Pro Retina 2.5 GHz 16 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.15
Logic Pro X 10.4, RME Babyface

Artlowell

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Much of my music modulates from key to key quite a bit. Frankly, I often don't know what key it really is in. The best way to find out might be to try all 12 keys and see (in the score view) which key gives you the least number of natural accidentals.

Anybody have any quick tricks for this?
Logic X 10.4.1/OS 10.12.5/MacBook/2.5 GHz Intel Core 15/8 GB/

angelonyc

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:04 pm

Break the song into sections. Take the midi tracks you have and put into score editor, if you see a section with different sharps or flats, you have changed key..

General rule - loop a section, jam along till you find the most notes that fit.. if they don't fit as the song progresses, you've changed key, or transposed.. Figure out notes that fit for that section etc..

Some jazz makes it a point to change key often so there really is no set key..
MacPro 2015 12 core - 64 gig of ram
OSX 11.01
Logic Pro 10.6
RME fireface 800, Genelec 8040A's
Genos, Montage,Motif XS Rack, Korg M3, Intrega 7, Falcon UVI, Kontakt, u-he, musiclab
Kontakt, UVI, U-he, Music Lab- Modartt
Kontakt and UVI libraries, U-he, Madrona Labs, Music Labs, Serum, Synthmaster, Seaboard Rise, SWAM

SampleTank,Falcon,UVI, A.I.R. MusicTechnologies

Beer Moth

Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:25 am

angelonyc wrote:

Some jazz makes it a point to change key often so there really is no set key..

Not really.
If you're in C and there's an A7 chord,then technically at that point you're in D,A7 being the dominant of D,but more often than not it's used as a tonally different colour,while still being VI of C.Stick some extensions on and the interchangeability is more obvious.
A7b10,b9,b13 gives a flatter tonality more akin to C.See?

angelonyc

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Yes, you made a specific example, which does show key.. I am quoting "Gary Burton" from his "Jazz Improvisation" course on Coursera.org..

Purposely I have written jams, which change, key and modality so frequently there was no key, or you could say 3 bars in one key or modality, then shifting, and shifting.. Result was kind of wandering musical wall paper... not the kind of music I would pursue anymore, but I did it as a test.
MacPro 2015 12 core - 64 gig of ram
OSX 11.01
Logic Pro 10.6
RME fireface 800, Genelec 8040A's
Genos, Montage,Motif XS Rack, Korg M3, Intrega 7, Falcon UVI, Kontakt, u-he, musiclab
Kontakt, UVI, U-he, Music Lab- Modartt
Kontakt and UVI libraries, U-he, Madrona Labs, Music Labs, Serum, Synthmaster, Seaboard Rise, SWAM

SampleTank,Falcon,UVI, A.I.R. MusicTechnologies

The Spann

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 pm

You can always go to this web page: https://www.scales-chords.com/chordscalefinder.php Simply type in your chord progression and presto it then tells you all of the available keys that will work with the chord progression you entered. Hope this helps happy strumming!

MikeRobinson

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Actually, Score View is very helpful because it lets you look at one possible interpretation of what you hear.  And, yes, adding a key-signature and noticing which one has the least amount of (or, no) added sharps or flats (accidentals ...) is a good way to do it.

Another way is to assume the key of "C" (no sharps or flats ...) and simply notice where sharps or flats have been added by the software.  Start by noticing where a note has been altered consistently, "every time it appears."  Then, count how many there are.

Or:  "how many of the bands on Piano Roll which contain blobs are dark-colored bands, corresponding to "black keys?"  (This method is less exact, since some accidentals correspond to white keys, but it works for most key-signatures.)

You will notice that all key-signatures consist of a certain sequence of sharps/flats, and that more sharps/flats are always added to the key-signature, always on the right-hand-side without taking any of the others away.  If there are "three sharps," they will be "F - C - G."  "Three flats" will be "B - E - A."  Also bear in mind that "one note's sharp is its next door neighbor's flat." (A comment which might sound funny to those of you who live in London or some other big city.)  F-sharp is G-flat and so on.  There are rules-of-thumb that will tell you which key corresponds to each number of flats or sharps – or, let the software do it for you.

Accidentals which are "part of the key (signature)" will occur every time: they actually serve to describe the spacing (interval) between the notes, and thus create "what the key generally 'sounds like.'" Accidentals which are "accidents" (so to speak) will be one-offs – exceptions to the rule made for artistic reasons.  These "accidents" also clearly mark a clearly audible change to the perceived sound, occurring at exactly that point.
Mike Robinson
"I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.
Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA

Jolab

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:12 am

Listen to the last note in a verse. It will often tell you what key the song is in -and then you have to find out if it is major or minor. Sometimes it might be in the parallel key. In this case she ends on F# - F#major

Onyx509

Fri May 22, 2020 10:21 am

I found this thread by searching for the same question. I also play guitar and I usually find the key that way, but I wanted to find a quicker way by just looking at the piano roll rather than getting out my guitar and plucking around. It seems that there should be some really easy way of figuring this out directly in the piano roll, but it doesn't seem like this is an option yet.
Logic Pro X 10.5
Mac Os Catalina 10.15
Memory 16 gb
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i9
8 core
MacBook Pro i9
Alesis Dm10
Presonus Studio 26c
Akai Professional Max 25
Alesis V61