Transcribing from MIDI

Theo.321

Hi. I have a couple questions about transcribing a client's piano music that they recorded using MIDI (a piano software instrument).

1. Their tempo does not match the project tempo. Can I use Smart Tempo on MIDI *after* it's recorded? It seems like maybe not?

2. Are there any fancy automated transcription tools/apps I should know about? Perhaps I could turn the recording into an audio file and have an app do the transcription?

3. Is there a way to transfer the Logic score (sheet music) to Musescore directly? Or do I just have to import the MIDI file of the track into Musescore and Musecore creates its own notation? The reason I ask is because Musescore is putting RH (right hand) material in the left hand (bottom) staff, whereas the Logic score is doing a better job putting the RH and LH material in the proper staffs.

Thank you!

-Theo

1. Their tempo does not match the project tempo. Can I use Smart Tempo on MIDI *after* it's recorded? It seems like maybe not?

Yes you can.

Providing that you use a recent Logic version (IIRW 10.4.2 and above), if the recorded MIDI piano contains tempo (fluctuation aka mapping) information, setting the Logic Tempo Mode to ADAPT prior importing the MIDI file, will create a tempo map in the project, which will fluctuate along the piano's performance.

If the piano MIDI file doesn't embed such tempo information, you could create such a tempo map after Logic had analyzed the newly imported MIDI file.

There could be different approaches, but the following is the one I had the quickest and best results from;

to create a project tempo map that will follow the eventual recorded piano performance tempo fluctuation:

1. Set Logic tempo mode to KEEP before importing the piano MIDI file.
  2. Set Logic's playhead at 1.1.1.1. position.
  3. In Logic's LCD, set the time signature corresponding to the recorded piano's one. If the piece contains different time signatures, use the first one.
  4. Set the region to make coincide the first downbeat recorded note to a (Logic's timegrid) beat (idealy to a bar beat, if appropriate).
  5. Make sure that the region doesn't start before 1.1.1.1.
  6. Select the MIDI region, open the editor pane, select its Smart Tempo tab.
  7. In the middle of the Smart Tempo editor window there will be a button Analyse.
  8. Clicking on same will create the needed tempo map.
  9. If your piece contains complex time signature changes, I would suggest you split the performance in different regions each starting with the new time signature change.

If your Logic version is older than 10.4.2, your best bet would be using Logic's beat mapping function.

The steps 1 through 5 are also recommended in that case.

Additionally, before starting to beat map, using MIDI region stretching might prove very useful.

2. Are there any fancy automated transcription tools/apps I should know about? Perhaps I could turn the recording into an audio file and have an app do the transcription?
Never tried that. Worth trying if those are free services.

3. Is there a way to transfer the Logic score (sheet music) to Musescore directly?
I didn't try it but perhaps via XML format.

Or do I just have to import the MIDI file of the track into Musescore and Musecore creates its own notation?
Musecore does indeed import MIDI file according to the documentation.

The reason I ask is because Musescore is putting RH (right hand) material in the left hand (bottom) staff, whereas the Logic score is doing a better job putting the RH and LH material in the proper staffs.
Logic features convenient different ways to parse (at will), notes between lower vs higher staves.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
9 hours ago, JacoBirdTrane said:

More a question than an answer 

can the parts be displayed as music ( score mode )notation to aid in transcribing parts !!

Yes, any MIDI parts can be displayed as music notation in the score editor. By default, you just have to select MIDI regions and press N. If that doesn't work, you can open the Editors area at the bottom of the Tracks area, then click "Score". 

• Like 1