riff and chords

leeguirado

I am creating trance music with logic pro and want to start playing the keyboard to make riffs and chord progressions etc. I am confused as to how people start playing chords though. Is it a case of e.g. If i play a major chord (C major), does everything i play after that need to be a major chord too? If i choose to play in the e.g. C major scale, do all the chords i play have to be ABCDEFG major? Can you play minor chords and major together? Do certain chords have to be played with other ones to sound good?

As for creating riffs- Is it a case of picking 3 - 4 notes that sound good together, then alternating between them one note by one to make a melody, while pressing and holding a bass note too?

As you can see, i am not familiar with keyboard theory haha any help would be appreciated, thanks.

In addition to the good advice regarding music having no rules and to learn some basic music theory, it might also be very helpful to take some time to do some ear training. This could be done officially with instruction or by being self-taught. Also, it goes hand-in-hand with music theory.

For starters, become familiar with the SOUND of the triads (three-note chords) as they are derived from, and as they relate to, the Major and Minor scales. Also, become familiar with the SOUND of the triad derived from Major and Minor scales as they relate to each other. That's ear-training. Now, take it a step further, and become familiar with the SOUND of the chord-scales (or modes) as they relate to the triads (or chords). For example, the C Major triad (the notes, C-E-G) has the actual C-Major scale as its "chord-scale". (It's also known as the Ionian Scale or Mode.) Now, start with the next note up from C and go to D. From there derive the triad from D as it relates to the C-Major scale which would be the notes, D-F-A. This would be a D-Minor triad (chord), and it's corresponding "chord-scale" (derived from the C-Major scale) would be the Dorian Scale: D-E-F-G-A-B-C and D. Note the distinct difference in SOUND between the C Major Triad and its cooresponding chord-scale (aka the Ionian Mode) to the D Minor Triad and its cooresponding chord-scale (aka the Dorian Mode). Again, THAT's ear training!

I believe that the bottom line to be is this: Music Theory and Ear Training make available "Sonic Colors" for the composer. The more Music Theory and Ear Training learned, the more "Sonic Colors" available to compose music. This would be true for classical music, jazz, rock and roll, country, electronic dance music, trance music, rap, etc., etc., etc., etc. (Of course, knowing the different styles of music is important, too!) Music theory and ear training is applicable to all styles/genres of music, and to all music found in all cultures of the world. In my book, the more learned, the better. Why? Because if gives the composer all sorts of "Sonic Colors" and CONTROL over the compositional process to use the so-called "rules" or to break them. As corney as it sounds, knowledge gives you control. Such control is a beautiful thing in the world of music composition.

Thanks for the good comments. I think i will do some ear training, think that will help a lot, and aid me in knowing what sound will go well with what. Also what is the difference between C major and A minor scale? I know they are the same scale, so whats the point in the two?