Making less linear melodies

Do you guys have any techniques for making less linear melodies? What I mean by that is getting a more dynamic melody which isn't just a simple sequence of notes. Besides using an arp, what can you do to get a more dynamic sound to a particular software instrument? When I'm playing a live instrument I can do a lot of things to get a nice flowing melody, but using software the melodies come out more stiff.

There are probably dozens of different ways (or tricks) by dozens of different composers in writing melodies.

Here's an exercise for you that might help get the "creative juices" flowing for creating a "less linear" melody. Write a four measure or an eight measure phrase (melody) using all 12 notes found in the chromatic scale. Do this without repeating any of the notes within the multi-measured phrase (4 measures, 8 measures, etc.) you set for yourself. Avoid writing two or three notes that are next to each other, and vary the rhythm (don't be repetitive with the rhythm).

Seriously. . . allow this exercise to be a set of rules for you to follow. Hopefully this exercise will produce a number of different interesting and satisfying melodies.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I'd argue and say that this has very little to do with traditional composition and more to do with sound design.

My favorite melodies in my work are the ones where the midi information had very little in common with the resulting melody!

Loop a few notes over 8 bars and make the instrument a touch track. Press play and start randomly turning knobs. While looping, your movements will be recorded and play back. Do this until you start hearing stuff you like, then stop and bounce it down.

Now, you can drag in the resulting file, chop it up, get a bunch of cool little noises and arrange them into a melody.

It's a very non-musical way of composing, but it can be incredible effective once you learn what works!

Do you guys have any techniques for making less linear melodies? What I mean by that is getting a more dynamic melody which isn't just a simple sequence of notes. Besides using an arp, what can you do to get a more dynamic sound to a particular software instrument? When I'm playing a live instrument I can do a lot of things to get a nice flowing melody, but using software the melodies come out more stiff.

Do you mean the difference between playing and programming?

• 3 weeks later...