Organizing musical ideas that don't fit the current project

robsoul

Hi all,

When I'm done with a track I end up with 3 or 4 strong melodies and/or chord progressions that would be be better off in another song. I've been thinking of creating a "melody depot" project to store them all together so that I can audition them quickly when I start a new song. The workflow would be: save the channel strip in the original project, open it up in the melody depot project and then manually copy over the audio/midi. But I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way to do this?

Thanks

Rob

You can use the selective track import function to import the tracks & regions with the alternative melodies. That way there's no need to have two projects open simultaneously (which can be problematic or at least timeconsuming, especially with bigger projects, as coreaudio is restarted every time you switch projects.)

Flow: Save & close your source project, then open the 'depot' project and import the wanted tracks and/or regions.

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10/#lgcpce085447