Can you have custom views on a per patch in MainStage 3?

PandaRiot

The title says it all. Does anyone know if you have custom views on a per patch in MainStage 3?

For example, maybe patch one is a couple loopers and there associated controls.

Patch 2 is a keyboard and EXS and would look totally different.

Is it possible to do this in MainStage 3 or are we still stuck with one screen representing all patches?

You can't have a custom view per patch so there's nothing to really screenshot.

The only 2 elements that can be unique to each patch are "Parameter displays" like displaying volume level or lyrics and the new smart controls element.

The smart controls seem to have potential, since you can customize their controls and descriptions per patch, but that's about it. There's no way you could have the "Smart Controls" display as a Looper (playback) its associated buttons on one patch.

I only bring this up because the screen just seems clunky and unfocused when you have all these non-active controls and waveform displays on a patch that doesn't use them.

You can't have a custom view per patch

Open the Keyboard Quickstart template and you will notice that SmartControls change on a per-patch base. And because you can pick from a large selection of SmartControls in your own patches, you can pretty much do what you want it to do!

But, not really :(

Although there are many Smart Control templates, they are all geared towards displaying dials or faders.

What I was specifically looking to achieve is to have totally custom displays per patch.

Imagine it this way...

Patch A) deals only with 2 Loopback devices and 1 Playback device

Now to use these properly we're going to need to see those control buttons (record, play, reverse, clear) and also those waveform displays (of Loopback and Playback) properly. We'd want them to take up most of the screen so in a split second we can see exactly whats happening.

Now switch to Patch B) which is only using keyboards and some effects..even though they might not be active, you still have all those GUI elements from Patch A taking up the screen.

So what ends up happening is you have to make everything smaller as way to balance out your overall screen controls

In an actual live situation the Smart Controls just don't cut it. You need to be able to glance at the screen and in less then a second see what you need to see. I think they work well in Logic X as a way to quickly control and map/automate, but with Mainstage they don't translate as well.

Hi,

I have a similar question, although I am less experienced with mainstage so I am not as sure of the correct terminology.

I created a hammond organ patch and mapped some of the functions not displayed in the edit window/workspace area using the layout section. I dragged over virtual buttons and faders and then assigned specific controls ( for example vibrato/chorus 1-3); and then labeled the buttons and assigned those virtual buttons, etc to physical ones on my controller.

However, in the same concert when I open another patch, those same virtual buttons/knobs show up still labeled as they are in the organ patch. Anyway to hide them when I open /edit a new patch?

Thanks,

Ben

no, you can't hide them on other patches, which is the same issue I'm talking about.

If the controls are purely there for mapping the software to the hardware and you don't necessarily need to see them on your display i tend to shrink them as small as they can go while in the edit window.

• 2 years later...

2.5 years later, and still nothing? What a shame. That tells me this isn't coming anytime soon. The fact that you can have custom Mappings per patch, but not custom Assignments is ... well ... ridiculous.

If you have a midi controller capable of sending multiple MIDI notes on different banks, this limitation in MS seems to have nullified the foot controler except for the notes you can send in one bank.

Either that, or you do like "PandaRiot" mentioned and have every possible parameter assignment already in the template, and those just sit useless in the patches they're not assigned. Spent a few days trying to figure this out, and alas it seems it's been this way for 2.5 years.

Unless someone else has a recommendation, looks like I'm moving to Ableton. I'm a huge fan of the visual and intuative side of MS / Logic, but I guess Apple has other things going on. Ableton Learning curve, here I come!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

2018 ... you havent found a way, I presume? I have just come across this: When you open up a new concert and pick the Main Stage preset „Keyboard“ in „Quick Start“ you get a fully loaded concert and sure enough it shows custom smart controls for each patch. And no, I can’t figure out how its done.

Anybody?

• 2 years later...