Getting started with MainStage

Bebop26

Hi.

I'm new with MainStage.

I'm a user of Logic Pro X and I want to get a practical live set-up. I have some questions, hoping that someopne will take the time to answer me. Question 4 is the most important for me.

1- Is it possible to change the language of MainStage without changing the language of my MacOS (Big Sur). Since this forum and most tutorial videos are in english, I would like to use the proper english words. I don't see a place in the Prefs where I could change the language of my MainStage, which is in French.

2. I get a dialog when I open MainStage, saying that my concert contains some modules that generate some latency. How can I know which modules are causing this latency ? The modules I use seem to have more or less the same memory allocation.

3. What keyboard controller do you recommend or suggest to work with MainStage ? I already have a Hammer88 by M-Audio, but besides having a nice touch and 88 notes (I'm a pianist), it has no knobs that I can assign to control things. There's only a volume slider, pitch bend and a MOD wheel...!

4. I have my own little studio at home, with a desktop iMac, a good sound card and everything. At my friend's place, there is also a big iMac, some keyboards, a good MIDI controller, sound card, mixing board and everything. He uses the same Logic Pro X version than I do, and he's on Big Sur, as I am. If I prepare at my home a MainStage concert with some patches using only Logic Pro and MainStage sounds, could I carry just that MAINSTAGE file to my friend's place, put it on his Mac, open it, assign some parameters to some knobs on his controller keyboard and use my patches ? Then, could I carry this MainStage file back and forth to my home in order to use or modify my patches and bring them back to the studio?

5. If I'd buy a Macbook, what would you recommend as for the minimum requirements ?

Hoping to get some answers on these, thanks for reading me and have a good day !

Just one or two quick informations/ideas.

Hi.

1- Is it possible to change the language of MainStage without changing the language of my MacOS (Big Sur). Since this forum and most tutorial videos are in english, I would like to use the proper english words. I don't see a place in the Prefs where I could change the language of my MainStage, which is in French.

At least in 3.4.4 this is possible and I would be surprised if they took it out:

675346899_Bildschirmfoto2021-08-30um08_23_00.jpg.5fd95fe749241ae459a872f12d72dee4.jpg

It's possible to set it automatically to the language used in the OS or to a specific language.

2. I get a dialog when I open MainStage, saying that my concert contains some modules that generate some latency. How can I know which modules are causing this latency ? The modules I use seem to have more or less the same memory allocation.

Latency and memory allocation are completely different things; a plugin can have a small memory footprint but might take a lot of time to compute its output (hence large latency).

3. What keyboard controller do you recommend or suggest to work with MainStage ? I already have a Hammer88 by M-Audio, but besides having a nice touch and 88 notes (I'm a pianist), it has no knobs that I can assign to control things. There's only a volume slider, pitch bend and a MOD wheel...!

There's also the possibility to add a small external knob controller to the keyboard. It really depends on your needs - how many knobs you want to have and how well they should be integrated with Mainstage.

4. I have my own little studio at home, with a desktop iMac, a good sound card and everything. At my friend's place, there is also a big iMac, some keyboards, a good MIDI controller, sound card, mixing board and everything. He uses the same Logic Pro X version than I do, and he's on Big Sur, as I am. If I prepare at my home a MainStage concert with some patches using only Logic Pro and MainStage sounds, could I carry just that MAINSTAGE file to my friend's place, put it on his Mac, open it, assign some parameters to some knobs on his controller keyboard and use my patches ? Then, could I carry this MainStage file back and forth to my home in order to use or modify my patches and bring them back to the studio?

Yes, that should work. I've been moving concerts between different computers myself.

I'm still on Mojave. It might be that Apple moved this into the System preferences on newer versions of Mac OS.

The "Language and Region" preference pane should allow to set the language for individual apps. Naturally I can't test this on Mojave, but it might be worth a try:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-the-system-language-mh26684/

Wow, Gacki, this is fantastic !

I don't know since when we can set the language of some apps in the System preferences, but it is now the case in BigSur. I was not aware of that and I could not imagine it was the case ! It does not work for any apps, but it is possible for at least Logic and MainStage.

Thanks so much to have taken the time to search for this answer, I REALLY appreciate !

Have a good day !