Send MIDI from MainStage when selecting a patch

Sigve
Go to solution Solved by Maddcow,

Hi,

I've got my iOS device and Mac on the same Wi-Fi network, and have set up a MIDI network session from "Audio MIDI Setup" Mac utility that has my iOS device as a participant.

I'm trying to do this: When I chose a patch in Mainstage, I want that patch (through the Audio MID Network) to select the corresponding lead sheet in my app on my iOS device.

1) Is it possible to make a patch in Mainstage trigger a specific MIDI-note, how can I program this in each patch? (For now I want to change patches using my mac keyboard)

2) How can I chose which MIDI output the MIDI note on each patch are routed through?

Thanks,

• Solution
Why don’t you reverse the scenario? i.e. when you select a lead sheet on your iOS device, your iOS app sends a MIDI command to change the MainStage patch? I’ve been doing this for years using ForScore/OnSong/iGigBook on my iPad; those apps simply send a MIDI program change to MainStage which changes the patch.

Why don’t you reverse the scenario? i.e. when you select a lead sheet on your iOS device, your iOS app sends a MIDI command to change the MainStage patch? I’ve been doing this for years using ForScore/OnSong/iGigBook on my iPad; those apps simply send a MIDI program change to MainStage which changes the patch.

Cool, yes that would maybe be better. I guess that works for other midi devices too, such as guitar pedals etc, and keyboards for other band members?

Can you please make a video where you show how you do this with Onsong sending MIDI command changes to MainStage, and if you know, how to route these MIDI commands to other MIDI devices as well? That'd be awesome if you can

It should also be possible from Mainstage. It's somewhat easy with Program Changes but should also work with MIDI notes (though perhaps a bit more complicated).

The channel strip for "external instrument" allows to assign the MIDI port where data is sent and on which MIDI channel data is sent. You can also enable sending Program Changes (and other data) for that particular channel strip. This of course means once you call up that patch the appropriate Program Change is sent to that port.

You can set the MIDI Input for that particular channel strip to "Off" so there's be no interference from the things you play on the keyboard.

If you want to send a specific MIDI note instead you probably can press "send MIDI file" into service here: create a number of MIDI files containing just one note and attach the appropriate file to the channel strip. I haven't tried this so far but in theory it should work.