MainStage and lyrics

coverman

Is it possible to display lyrics for backtracks running in MainStage or if there is a way to trigger something else to display lyrics in a different monitor?

I am planning to use backtracks for a band with MainStage where I have some things setup in the monitor, but I also need lyrics to be displayed as well and changed when a new track is loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of ways to do this. You can display a different set of lyrics for every patch right in MainStage by adding a text box in layout mode, in edit mode you can type(or copy/paste) your lyrics into the box in the bottom inspector window. These will show up within your text box in perform mode.

Another option is to use a lyrics or charts app on an iPad (or several iPads) that accepts midi in and out. When you change the patch in MainStage your iPad (or all iPads) will change to that song with the lyrics, or you can choose a song on the iPad app and it will change MainStage to the appropriate patch. If you have several group members requiring the same lyrics you can set one iPad to control midi out and all the other iPads to accept the incoming midi program change so one person handles the changes.

Now..... as for your backing tracks, I'm not sure if my suggestion is exactly what you're looking for. I only have experience in changing patches with midi but not with backing tracks, though your problem interests me. Is each backing track in MainStage set on a separate patch or are you able to set it up this way? What is your process for loading new backing tracks? I've learned in the last several months that when using midi, the possibilities are practically limitless and depends much on your imagination.

If you can describe your setup a little further and how you have things arranged in MainStage I'd be happy to make more detailed suggestions you could try.

Great. Well, every song is loaded in one patch. They are sound files that I've exported from Logic. So, on one track I have a click track. On one track I have something like a drum loop. And on a third track maybe a synth bass and on a fourth track there might be an fx track.

Then I have them on separate outputs on my sound card. So the click is going to output 1 and the rest of them on output 2–4 (or something like that).

I haven't used midi to control yet and haven't tried my setup live. Only for rehearsal.

I have built something in MainStage that is showing the band members what part is playing (eg. Verse, Chorus). I also have a part showing the bars left until the next change in the track. Something like 4 bars left until Chorus 2.

I have this in my MacBook Pro and three of the band members have my window showing on they iPads via TeamViewer.

But there are a lot of lyrics to be remembered and would be great to have them on the screen for both lead vocals and backing vocals. But some songs have so much lyrics that it would be best to have some scrolling function movie along with the song. Otherwise the lyrics will be too small I guess.

Not sure what is the best solution... My plan is to change tracks via a midi controller foot pedal.

You have me thinking now, I'm going to look into this a little more. I'm thinking there might be a way to have each marker send a midi message. Using a songbook iPad app like unrealbook or the like I'm almost positive you can have a midi message turn the page for you. It sounds like you want it to work automatically so nobody has to touch anything while performing?

What plugin are you using to play the tracks?

None of this applies to my setup, but out of pure interest I'm going to play around with this a little just to see what I can come up with. I'll let you know if I find anything useful to you.

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...