Recreating The Beatles rooftop concert feel in the studio?

I'm working on quite an interesting studio project at the moment. In a nutshell I'm trying to recreate the sound and feel of The Beatles rooftop concert (a sort of Rutles-alike parody) within the confines of my small studio space. I'm currently at the tracking stage and have access to similar instruments as used by John, Paul, George and Ringo (a Telecaster, a violin bass, etc...) but my question relates to further ahead in proceedings ie: the mixing/mastering stage. Bar starting again and actually finding a rooftop and staging a gig does anybody have any thoughts & ideas on how I should go about processing my parts to give the track the right 'feel'. I'd be particularly interested to hear about vocal reverb/compressor ideas and overall creating the overall band ambience. I've been messing about with Space Designer in between takes but I'm still at the tracking stage and haven't put my 'mixing hat' on yet. I'm very interested to hear other folks thoughts on a project such as this. Any advice much appreciated!

I would try to find out how it was actually recorded; mono or stereo? What mike(s) were used? What amplifiers? Then look for an impulse response, I guess it should be between the "Outdoor Spaces"? OR, even more adventurous, find a spot with similar acoustics (or even go to the actual spot, if it's still intact) and record an impulse response. Try to avoid using compression at first. I don't think the Beatles used any there, although the used recording device may have.

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/Rooftop_concert.jpg

Great thoughts so far folks (and brilliant photie!) I hear what you're saying about finding the correct impulse response but it doesn't need to be that specific really - I just wanna try to capture the overall 'feel' & flavour of The Beatles' outside live broadcast (as opposed to a more standard 'polished' studio recording). What makes this even more of a challenge is that I'm attempting to play and sing ALL the parts myself. As is such I'm having to multitrack the whole thing and build from the ground up. Ideally I would have been recording this idea out in the open, one take and with a full live band but, when you're a sole-trader, you just have to find a workaround and try to work with what you've got! Thanks again and I'll attempt to post my efforts when I'm done here.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sound recorded outdoors usually has very little low-end information. When I'm tracking in studio to match tracks done in the field, the first thing I do is start rolling off the lows at 100hz and then just push the start of the curve up until it sounds about right.

You also hear some wind noise on those "Let It Be" mixes, but it's not like a SFX: The wind actually interferes with vocals, etc. Have you thought about just recording it outside? Is that feasible?

Lots of great ideas folks - keep 'em coming! As for the feasibility of actually recording outside .... hmm? Where I'm based right now not really. I'll see how I go in the studio and if I'm not getting the desired sound I'll need to have a think about location recording in the outdoors (that said, it'll still be 'just me' as both engineer & performer(s) making it that bit trickier to pull off). Once I'm done with tracking my current 'in studio' attempt I shall begin to explore those Open Spaces reverb presets in Space Designer and go from there.

• 4 weeks later...