A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

Old Mac Donald
Topic Author

Recreating The Beatles rooftop concert feel in the studio?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:02 am

I'm working on quite an interesting studio project at the moment. In a nutshell I'm trying to recreate the sound and feel of The Beatles rooftop concert (a sort of Rutles-alike parody) within the confines of my small studio space. I'm currently at the tracking stage and have access to similar instruments as used by John, Paul, George and Ringo (a Telecaster, a violin bass, etc...) but my question relates to further ahead in proceedings ie: the mixing/mastering stage. Bar starting again and actually finding a rooftop and staging a gig does anybody have any thoughts & ideas on how I should go about processing my parts to give the track the right 'feel'. I'd be particularly interested to hear about vocal reverb/compressor ideas and overall creating the overall band ambience. I've been messing about with Space Designer in between takes but I'm still at the tracking stage and haven't put my 'mixing hat' on yet. I'm very interested to hear other folks thoughts on a project such as this. Any advice much appreciated!
Logic v.9.1.8 / OS X v.10.6.8 / Machine: Mac Mini / Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo / RAM Memory: 8GB / Internal HD: 320GB / External HD: Seagate Black Scorpio 500GB / Interface: Apogee Duet / Monitors: Tannoy Reveal / Mic: RODE NTK

Eriksimon

Re: Recreating The Beatles rooftop concert feel in the studi

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:15 am

I would try to find out how it was actually recorded; mono or stereo? What mike(s) were used? What amplifiers? Then look for an impulse response, I guess it should be between the "Outdoor Spaces"? OR, even more adventurous, find a spot with similar acoustics (or even go to the actual spot, if it's still intact) and record an impulse response. Try to avoid using compression at first. I don't think the Beatles used any there, although the used recording device may have.

Why did the chicken cross the Mobius ring?

miMac Intel i5 3.6 GHz 16 GB RAM/OS X 12.6 (Sierra)/Logic Pro X 10.4.4/MXL 990/Marantz MPM-1000/U-Phoria UMC204HD/E-MU XBoard 49/Studiologic CMK 149/Akai LPD8

denitronik

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 am

Since the recording was done outside the sound would be dry, no reverberation except maybe some slap-back coming from the building in front.
MacBook Pro 2012, i7 (16G of RAM), OS X 10.14, WD USB3 external drive.
Logic X 10.4.4, MainStage 3.4.2, Toneboosters plug-ins, Myriad, Triumph, Final Cut Pro 10.4.
Apogee Ensemble Firewire, Duet Firewire, MOTU 828MKII, Mackie VLZ3 1402.
Keystation 61es, Logidy UMI3 MIDI controllers.

Old Mac Donald
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:06 am

Great thoughts so far folks (and brilliant photie!) I hear what you're saying about finding the correct impulse response but it doesn't need to be that specific really - I just wanna try to capture the overall 'feel' & flavour of The Beatles' outside live broadcast (as opposed to a more standard 'polished' studio recording). What makes this even more of a challenge is that I'm attempting to play and sing ALL the parts myself. As is such I'm having to multitrack the whole thing and build from the ground up. Ideally I would have been recording this idea out in the open, one take and with a full live band but, when you're a sole-trader, you just have to find a workaround and try to work with what you've got! Thanks again and I'll attempt to post my efforts when I'm done here.
Logic v.9.1.8 / OS X v.10.6.8 / Machine: Mac Mini / Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo / RAM Memory: 8GB / Internal HD: 320GB / External HD: Seagate Black Scorpio 500GB / Interface: Apogee Duet / Monitors: Tannoy Reveal / Mic: RODE NTK

Old Mac Donald
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:09 am

Also, while I'm on .... does anybody know what type of keyboard Billy Preston played on this session??

mdee

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:11 am

Old Mac Donald wrote:
Also, while I'm on .... does anybody know what type of keyboard Billy Preston played on this session??

It was a Fender Rhodes Suitcase - Electric Piano.
27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Logic Pro X 10.4.7 - UA Apollo X6 - UAD-2 Quad Core Satellite TB3
MOTU 8Pre USB - Yamaha HS7 - MAudio Axiom 61 2nd Gen

Gravity Jim

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:29 am

Another thing to keep in mind is that sound recorded outdoors usually has very little low-end information. When I'm tracking in studio to match tracks done in the field, the first thing I do is start rolling off the lows at 100hz and then just push the start of the curve up until it sounds about right.

You also hear some wind noise on those "Let It Be" mixes, but it's not like a SFX: The wind actually interferes with vocals, etc. Have you thought about just recording it outside? Is that feasible?
Apple Logic Pro X 10.4.4 ~ OS X 10.14.3 ~ 12-core 3.33Ghz MacPro w/32gb RAM, Radeon 7950 GPU, 3 Tb of internal SSD storage ~ UAD-2 ~ Waves Diamond ~ Komplete ~ Misc. plugs from Antares, Plogue, etc.

Old Mac Donald
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 am

Lots of great ideas folks - keep 'em coming! As for the feasibility of actually recording outside .... hmm? Where I'm based right now not really. I'll see how I go in the studio and if I'm not getting the desired sound I'll need to have a think about location recording in the outdoors (that said, it'll still be 'just me' as both engineer & performer(s) making it that bit trickier to pull off). Once I'm done with tracking my current 'in studio' attempt I shall begin to explore those Open Spaces reverb presets in Space Designer and go from there.

Old Mac Donald
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:55 am

mdee wrote:
Old Mac Donald wrote:

You wouldn't happen to know what's supposed to be a 'Fender Rhodes' in Logic's Sounds Library would you? CHEERS!

Eriksimon

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 am

Old Mac Donald wrote:
mdee wrote:
Old Mac Donald wrote:

You wouldn't happen to know what's supposed to be a 'Fender Rhodes' in Logic's Sounds Library would you? CHEERS!

The EVP88 of course!
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius ring?

miMac Intel i5 3.6 GHz 16 GB RAM/OS X 12.6 (Sierra)/Logic Pro X 10.4.4/MXL 990/Marantz MPM-1000/U-Phoria UMC204HD/E-MU XBoard 49/Studiologic CMK 149/Akai LPD8

Old Mac Donald
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:01 pm

OK, here's my Beatles spoof (lyrics courtesy of Rebecca Black!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmPBQkk ... ure=relmfu

el-bo

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Old Mac Donald wrote:
OK, here's my Beatles spoof (lyrics courtesy of Rebecca Black!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmPBQkk ... ure=relmfu

:lol: :lol: good job :mrgreen:
there is no sanctuary

http://soundcloud.com/el-bo

mbp c2d 2.33 c2d (circa 2006), 3g ram , logic 9.1.5 / x 10.6.8
mbp mid-2012, 2.3 i7 quad-core, 8g ram, logic 9 / 10.7 / 10.9 / 10.10