Deleting unused audio files completely

Looked for this, didn't find it. Additionally the manual isn't perfectly clear so I wanted to check in with everyone. (and yes, I am pretty new to LP)

I have finished a pretty major project, and now I want to clean up the files a bit before I archive everything. I noticed if I simply delete a track that the file still exists in the audio folder. Here's the question:

How do I delete all the files in the audio bin that are NOT being used by the project?

I am hoping to save space - some of these songs have many many scratch tracks.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 years later...

I would love for this topic to get crystal clear.

Because there are still crucial parts unanswered.

If you are really trying to clear HD space, the first reply doesn't do it.

To Select Unused in the bin and hit Delete on my keyboard it only removes them from the session bin and not from the Audio Files folder in the session folder on my HD.

Other than deleting unused from the bin and Save As Copy w Audio to whole new folder and deleting original session folder, how many other options are there to clear space efficiently with out deleting too much audio history?

I've never done this Project - Clean Up. If you could explain exactly what it does that would be awesome.

Is it deleting the unused permanently from the HD, and if so, is it just audio in take folders or is it also from tracks that you've deleted from older sessions?

How can one be sure that it is not erasing old session audio files that one might like going back to, such as original, unprocessed audio, if need be?

In other words what does it base what it erases on? A recent session, or something else?

Hmmm.

So it still sounds safer, but not saving HD space, to Save As Copy w Audio in order to have a current cleared session, but save any older session audio, in case one needs to return to something.

Project - Clean Up, sounds like it runs the risk of opening an old session and not being able to find audio, is that correct?

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I've recently deleted unused audio files from HD (select unused - audio files - delete). I think it deleted not only the copies in the session audio folder but also the original samples from my sound bank, because I cannot find the samples when try to search them in finder. Is such a thing possible (because it makes no sense to delete the originals for good where all you want is to save a little space of your project session.) ?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Ive found a solution to this. What I did was cleaned up the project and then created a copy of the project. All of this can be done via the file menu. Then the copy of the project should be smaller than the original. For some reason Logic doesn't fully delete the files. Or maybe i just made more work for myself. But it is a solution. Ive cleared up over 60gb of space just from doing this. Hope this helps!

1. Make sure you always create and save your project including relevant assets (especially audio files). This is always the first step.

2. Select unused files in the audio bin and delete them from the list by using the backspace key on your keyboard. Do a regular save of the project (Command+S).

3. Now clean up the project to actually delete unused audio files from the HD

This will make sure no files used in other projects are deleted by accident and it will free up actual HD space.

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I came up against this problem, the solution is.....

In the project audio browser select Edit / select unused

Then instead of edit / delete (this just takes the files off the project)

Audio file / Delete File(s) - this takes them out of the audio files folder, and into the trash...

Hope this helps anyone in future whose looking for this.. feel like you have to be careful with this though of course.

came up against this problem, the solution is.....

In the project audio browser select Edit / select unused

Then instead of edit / delete (this just takes the files off the project)

Audio file / Delete File(s) - this takes them out of the audio files folder, and into the trash...

Not quite, because you're only deleting what's visible in the Project Files window, and not everything that might be in it.

Clean Up Project is the only complete solution.

Triplets... Strange, when I Select Audio files / delete file(s) it deletes them out of my HD folder, 'audio files' thats in the project folder on my mac..

I couldn't get Clean up project to work, it didn't seem to delete the files off the HD... In fact it didn't do anything for me.