converting a sustain pedal to a kick

hey, i have a bit of a strange question.

is there a way to use my sustain pedal through my axiom 49 as a kick drum?

pretty strange but you guys are always good with helping out.

thanks,

nik

You will want to find a way to change your axiom sustain pedal value (64) to whatever the bass drum value in Logic is.

Or

Using Logic's environment, you can transform the sustain pedal value (64) to the value of the kick drum.

The sustain pedal has no velocity settings and is strictly an on/off device. The kick will have the same volume no matter how hard or softly you press on the sustain pedal.

919881121_Picture10.png.3b606740b681c8eb97c1424f28d169e4.png

You will want to find a way to change your axiom sustain pedal value (64) to whatever the bass drum value in Logic is.

That's not possible AFAIA. We're talking about a controller message (CC) and a note message. Two different animals. However...

Using Logic's environment, you can transform the sustain pedal value (64) to the value of the kick drum.

Yes! Great solution shiv.

I recently helped a student do this using the environment transformer method. We also placed another transformer after it to give a bit of randomization to the velocity, then set up a round-robin in EXS. This removed the monotony from the track and was a lot more fun to play!. Granted, in some genres, monotony is what you want . . .

That's not possible AFAIA. We're talking about a controller message (CC) and a note message. Two different animals. However...

I don't have any M-audio products, but they do deal with midi cc#'s above the normal 127.

For example, Midi CC#147 is a note on/off message. The Axiom has three data values that can be altered and one of them is the 'normal' cc# value associated with the #147 set of data. More is explained in the manual. These new keyboards will even sense the polarity of the sustain pedal.

I can't try this, so it is up to the user to find a way.

I think I will buy an electronic drum kit and set it up to play like a piano so that drummers around the world will have more versatility. Why not? My keytar plays like a guitar and my variax guitar plays like a keyboard.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Hey Shiv,

Right, those pesky M-Audio products that use non-standard numbering for messages that probably have no association with the actual nomenclature, i.e., CC#147. Yuck. But anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

What is sacred? Nothing anymore these days, other than maybe ye olde sacred-standby:

images.jpg.f85b87f2d8d657da1d924677f77d2381.jpg

Right, those pesky M-Audio products that use non-standard numbering for messages that probably have no association with the actual nomenclature, i.e., CC#147. Yuck.

I get a kick out of M-Audio sometimes. They do things in such a convoluted way, it makes me laugh. My Fatar master controller keyboard, 20 years old or better, does this kind of thing in a very direct and user friendly way. To be honest, much of the MIDI stuff being produced during that time puts most stuff produced these days to shame.

Somewhere along the path of MIDI history, the ancient knowledge has been lost.

i just realised i have no idea how how to create that enviroment, any hints to get to the stage the the origonal screenshot is in?

Open an Environment window. In the top left pulldown, select the Click & Ports layer. New-Transformer. Insert this before the Sequencer object. You'll get the hang of it.

• 6 years later...

It's really easy. All you want to do is change the control data (Sustain data) to midi note data. To do this you open up your midi environment. You up to the top left hand cornor where it says Mixer and change it to Clicks and Ports. Next you create a new transformer and set it to the following settings... 917955052_ScreenShot2015-08-04at14_35_32.png.9fa42cb4d653b9844e05dd3d45c1a729.png

But where it says 'C-1' you set it to whatever key you kick drum is set to. Then scroll up to where you see lots of stuff. There should be a line connecting Input View to Sequencer Input. Make that line connect Input View to your transformer and then create a new line connecting the transformer to the Sequencer Input. Then your done!

You might find that the drum sounds when you release the pedal. If this occors then you need to flip the switch on the pedal.

:D :D :D :) :) :) :idea: :idea: :idea: :D :D :D

• 5 years later...

I hope someone will still read this :)

I'm trying to do this trick, using a sustain pedal for triggering a kick drum, but it seems my Roland DP-10 sustain pedal, EVEN IN SWITCH MODE, is sending MIDI signals 79, 126, 127 while pressing down, and 77, 31, 7 while releasing...

instead of 0 and 127...

anyone knows a workaround for this?

thank you,

boka from brasil

Hey Fuzzfilth! Try my setup, it doesn't multiple-trigger. That's because the Filter Duplicates box is checked in Processor 1.

Also, FWIW, I chose the Quantize function to make this quick and easy to set up. If the OP wants to tailor the response so that the kick is triggered only when the pedal is fully down, then your modification of the map is perfect (of course). :)