Trackpad recommendation

Hi,

I've always used a mouse and never even tried a trackpad. After reading some comments on this forum I'd be keen to give it a try. Only thing is it must be wired. I don't want anything wireless. Is there anything available from Apple and if not 3rd party? Would appreciate any recommendations and caveats.

Thanks in advance.

The Apple Magic Trackpad has been in existence for over a decade now. We're onto version 3 right now. I've never used a mouse before, it's always been the Magic Trackpad from day 1. There's added functionality and integration when you use Logic with the Magic Trackpad or Trackpad built in on the MacBook/Pros. No caveats or negatives from me.

just curious: what's wrong with the apple trackpad? works perfectly, charge lasts a looong time.. otherwise, perhaps look on amazon for a 'wired trackpad'. but i doubt anything would work better or more seamlessly that the apple one.

EDIT: out of curiousity, took a look. outside of a logitech trackpad (also wireless)... nothing for mac. a wired mouse is, of course, the other alternative.

@fisherking Thanks for doing a search.

After doing a bit of research (before I posted) yes it seems that Apples trackpad is the gold standard so Im aware of that. It might work flawlessly and all that, but what I specifically stated was "I don't want anything wireless". I don't like wireless and indeed I already use a wired KB and a wired mouse. I'm certainly not on my own. For various reasons people have been asking Apple for such a device for years.

why don't you want anything wireless? it's bluetooth, not wifi. and which people have been asking for a wired trackpad? i mean, where have you seen that? is this your opinion, or is there data that backs up such a statement?

really, it's 2022. get a bluetooth trackpad, enjoy the possibilities modern tech affords us, and get on with it.. anyway, just my thoughts...

https://ergonomictouchpad.com

You're probably not going to get macOS/Logic gestures to work out of the box, I think you're going to need some third party app to get that type of functionality and you'll need to allocate some time to set everything up. For basic scrolling, selection, pointing, etc the Ergonomic Touchpad should be adequate. Personally I would just stick with the Apple Magic Trackpad. For me the Magic Trackpad is great, works out of the box and there are extra functions you get specifically with Logic + Force Touch gestures. I highly doubt the Ergonomic Touchpad has Force Touch functionality.

I've been using a Logitech MX - It is like a mouse but with a small ball on the side you operated with your thump. These is a very hort usb plug, you put in computer. If battery runs down, (which can take weeks/months. your can also charge it up and use it: https://amzn.to/3zTulHG

I'm not sure if they are phasing it out.. The ball is small 1 1/4 big, you use your thumb. got 5 programmable switchs. Two speed (pixels per inch) so you can easily switch between a fast mouse which can all over the screen, or very find detail.. for those extra mall programmable buttons new.

@ fisherking - If people dont/dont want to answer - thats fine.

But why come at me with a combative attitude like its a court proceeding. Youre not the judge. Just saying. I asked a simple question and I don't owe you an explanation for my preferences nor do I want to be put on trial by YOU. Search if you must - wired trackpad or similar but until you improve your manner dont bother answering.

@anp27 thanks for the link which I checked out. Im very new to trackpads so I'm just looking at how these things work and how much benefit they'll be over a mouse even if I don't have all the features. Yes for sure Apples offering looks great but again - I dont want anything wireless.

One thing I came across when searching was that someone used their lightning cable for a wired alternative but I'm not sure how good that idea is or how robust the cable actually is to be used like that.

Hi MarkStyles, thanks for your input.

That sounds exactly like a M$ mouse I have which is still wireless and so I don't use. Ive never used a trackball either and there'd be wired versions of those I guess?. I'm wondering how much strain they put on your thumb? I guess its what you get used to but a lot of mousing can get tiresome for sure.

One thing I came across when searching was that someone used their lightning cable for a wired alternative but I'm not sure how good that idea is or how robust the cable actually is to be used like that.

I literally just tried it, connected my Magic Trackpad via the lighting cable, turned off Bluetooth and yes, it works like a pseudo "wired" trackpad. So yes, I guess if you really wanted to do it that way you could.

Thanks for verifying that anp27! Im tempted...like very very tempted but I guess I'd want to be sure its going to work for the long haul. Unlike a mouse, the trackpad is stationary so shouldn't put any movement strain on the little connection plug. When I set up the computer. I did use Apples wireless mouse and remember being impressed with some of the actions you could do with it.

Unlike a mouse, the trackpad is stationary so shouldn't put any movement strain on the little connection plug.

Which is exactly why it should work pretty well in the long run. It's not like you're moving the Trackpad around millions of times a day, it's just going to sit there, stationary.

@ fisherking - If people dont/dont want to answer - thats fine.

But why come at me with a combative attitude like its a court proceeding. Youre not the judge. Just saying. I asked a simple question and I don't owe you an explanation for my preferences nor do I want to be put on trial by YOU. Search if you must - wired trackpad or similar but until you improve your manner dont bother answering.

it's ok if you don't want to explain anything, but there's no harm in my asking a question. and how is your own response any less 'combative' than mine? until you improve your manner don't bother answering.