To the RME Babyface Pro FS users—again...

While learning to use Totalmix with my sparkling new Babyface Pro FS makes sense, on the other hand since I'm used to work with Logic, I started working with it in DAW Mode. It makes more sense to me, to start with anyway—and leaving aside the fact that Totalmix is a handful to figure out, to say nothing of how exactly it interacts with Logic.

I worked today on the mix of the first recording I made with it, of a trio I'm part of. I basically worked with my monitors, but then I wanted to hear it through my headphones. And there's the catch... I just couldn't figure out how to hear the mix on the headphones, to say nothing about switching between listening to it on the monitors or the headphones at will. I take it that one can do that in DAW Mode—there are no reasons it shouldn't be possible.

The mix plays on the monitors fine, but I can't find how to have the phones work, though I played with all the Assign options of the Control Room section of the RME. As far as Logic goes, for all I know, there shouldn't be anything special to do.

That said, I still managed to do that first mix of my trio's last rehearsal, and I'm happy with it. I can definitely hear a lot more definition or clarity with the RME than what came out of my old Presonus Firestudio—though I have to say, about the phone issue, that I liked the simplicity of it, with its 2 volume knobs, one for the monitors and one for the phones that simply worked out of the box.

It's OK. I'll figure it out. Eventually. Yet I sure could use some help.

I completely agree with everything being much more easy to be controller 100% in Logic's Mixer and keeping the audio interface "transparent" rather than using its software mixer on top of Logic's mixer which complicates everything.

Now the headphones part ... there should be a Control Room window where you can assign the headphones... can you share a screenshot of your TotalMix software during playback of a project in Logic so that we can see the meters active?

I'll attach a tutorial by RME in case it helps.

Thanks for dropping in, David.

I watched that video. I'm still fooling around, and I guess I'll come across the solution through sheer luck and will power.

Let me get a screen shot of what Totalmix looks like when I'm running the mix...

Well, there we go. By luck I just now managed to get the mix to play in the headphones. I still can't figure out the logic of it—pun intended. The phones started to work when I assigned the option "phone 1" in the bottom-right Assign options to "AN 1/2" or analog inputs 1 and 2, which then made the bottom-left "PH 3/4" channel strip appear where I can control the phones volume, while I can control the monitors volume with the slider on the Main channel strip at the bottom-right.

Now, the latter makes sense, yet as to why the "phone 1" has to be assigned to "AN 1/2" to make the "PH 3/4" appear on the left, which controls the headphones, that's beyond me—and note that if you assign that "phone 1" to "PH 3/4" in the Assign, the PH 3/4 strip on the left side actually disappears.

Stranger than strange. Until it isn't. I guess. Maybe.

1066953963_TotalRemixFX.thumb.png.d8f128d5faac29a41aa2a1567dbd535f.png

Edited by bernarada

PS: Hmm. First time I post a screenshot here, I followed your old guidelines, compressed the shot, yet it appears as a .zip file. What am I missing...

Compressing is only for Logic files. Image files should not be compressed. I'll fix it for you. :)

Ok good to hear you managed to somehow make it work. I definitely agree that the software isn't the most intuitive out there, then again that often is the case with most routing/mixer software accompanying audio interfaces unfortunately.

Only for Logic files. I see, you meant compressing audio files in that old post. Makes sense.

Right, those interfaces' software. I recall feeling lucky with the old Presonus I used for many years as it happened to work straight away, so that I never had to deal with its Universal Control software. As for the RME Totalmix, I'm getting there to having it set where it needs to be. Then I only have to use it to set gain levels—though I think I read that those can be set on the interface itself—and use it to switch phantom power when needed. Then it can be closed and I can forget about it. It's a little unusual compared to what I've been used to, yet that said, I'm happy with its performance.

Looks like I'll have a next question soon, about having my sustain pedal—an M-Audio SP 2—work with Kontakt. It works fine elsewhere—which I'm grateful for since I don't know much about MIDI yet—yet no matter what I try, I can't get it to work there.