Syncing Midi Swing with Drummer Track

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for all of the help throughout the years.

Quick question:

I have a drummer track with a swing value of 57. I really like this setting for the song that I'm working on.

I'm programming in a bass track. I'd like the quantization of the track to follow the swing of the drummer. What are the values that I need to use to lock in with the drummer.

Midi quantization uses 0-100% and drummer uses values of 50 to 75 (?) I think.

It's weird that I can't find this answer anywhere. And strange that drummer wouldn't follow Logic's midi convention.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.

mw

• Solution

There is no direct relationship between Drummer's swing and the quantize swing values in the inspectors. They aren't set up the same way (in the region inspector, or in the Piano Roll ispector, there are different swing quantize such as A, B, C, D, E, and F that affect the swing percentages differently).

Your best bet is to dial it by ear, or visually. Or you could use groove tracks or create a groove template from your Drummer region and apply it to your bass.

Thanks for the quick reply :) I was beginning to suspect this. Hopefully its rectified in a future update.

Meanwhile, I've been experimenting. The closest correlation that I can get is if I use just the swing percentage slider in the inspector. The default swing setting seems to (sort of) sync up with drummer swing's 50 to 60 values. In this scenario, drummer 50 = midi 0%, 51 = 10%, 52 = 20%, etc... Hopefully this helps someone in a pinch, at least until Apple are able to integrate the two more seamlessly.

Thanks.