Recommendations for audio interface with M1

Hi all

After my mid-2012 Macbook Pro served me well for many years, I'll get a new Macbook Air M1 in the mail in a couple days—with 1TB storage and 16GB of ram—around which I'll rebuild my little home-studio. This means that it's also the end of the road for my Firewire interface.

My question is what interface to buy that will perform the best with the M1—both for home use and live use.

First, should I go Thunderbolt or USB-C?

Second, I have an FMR RNP which I like and would like to keep using at home. Looking around at reviews of interfaces, I get confused as to what I need to get exactly. All I need is a 2 mic/instrument preamps interface that allow me to add—through the line inputs—the 2 preamp of the RNP, making for a total of 4 separate inputs. I get confused because there are what they call 4x4 interfaces, but from what I understand their line inputs bypass their preamps inputs when used.

Apart from that, I might need it to have MIDI for a foot controller, I'm not sure yet—I have a Behringer FCB1010, but I'm thinking of scaling down and get a USB one instead.

Voilà. Any input would be appreciated.

I am, Atlas. I actually ordered one. But there's two things. First, it looks like the interface I have is not supported anymore with Big Sur—I bought the adapter overlooking checking that out, but I'll try it anyway, who knows... Second, I'm looking at upgrading my interface to both get a better performance and having one that has a smaller footprint since I also want to use it live.

Still, as I wrote, I'm looking for one that would give me 2 preamps plus allowing me to use my RNP, for although I play electric guitar, I'm essentially an acoustic and nylon strings' player and I want to still be able to use multiples mics when I record a solo piece.

Hi Triplets. Yes, I figured that Thunderbolt would be best, while I have to consider that I also want to use it live, and that limits the possibilities since they demand different things. I also have to deal with the fact that I'll only have 2 ports with Macbook Air—for home, I'll get a dock that fulfill my needs, while for playing live I'm looking at minimizing what I need as much as possible. To be honest, though I look forward to get the new Mac in a couple days, as far as getting everything I need to get for it to do what I want, well, what a puzzle—so much choices, so much conflicting reviews about every piece of that puzzle...

I need an interface that strikes a balance between what I need for home-recording and the ease and portability of using it live. Home, as I wrote, I'm looking at one with 2 micpreamps that allow me to add the 2 of my RNP to have 4 in total. That's the main concern. BTW, I just wrote to MOTU asking if their M4 interface allows for simultaneously using the 2 mics and 2 line inputs. It looks promising, and I like that it's bus-powered.

https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m4/

My budget is somewhat flexible. Say anywhere from $500 to $800 (CA, that is).

I'm looking at those too, Glenn the expat—where do you live now?

I realize that I need to clarify whether all 2x2 interfaces work the way my old 8 preamps one works, that is, that using the FMR RNP means that the preamps of a 2x2 interface will always be disconnected or bypassed. If that's the case, then obviously I need to get a 4 preamps one, using 2 of them and the RNP. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? That using the line inputs of any 2 preamps interface will always mean that the preamps will be bypassed?

If it's like that, then I realize that I could sell the RNP, which would allow me to invest more and get a decent 4x4 one.

Well, MOTU support informed me that using the M4 line inputs in the back to connect the RNP preamp doesn't affect the 2 front mic inputs. So that clarifies a point for me from my last post, namely that not all 2x2 interfaces bypass the 2 mic preamps when using the line inputs with an external preamp.

I'm going to keep looking into the M4 and whatever else is available. About live use, I like the fact that the M4 is bus-powered at a good rate, and that it has MIDI in and out. Also, it's affordable price (around $400 CA) makes it attractive. I could obviously spend more to get more and better, while from what I heard and read overall MOTU does a good job with their products.

Talking about bus-powered... Since for playing live I would use it with my Macbook on battery power, it makes me wonder how stable a bus-powered interface is when used that way, and also, by the same token, whether that makes it less reliable than a AC powered interface, whether used at home or live. Reading around, there are complaints about the performance of bus-powered interfaces.

On a last note, I found myself looking at the Presonus Quantum 2626 which runs with Thunderbolt. Leaving aside the issue of portability for live playing, it's tempting because it's familiar—the Firestudio, which looks so similar, served me well for many years. Then there's the fact that Thunderbolt makes it achieve an apparently surprisingly low latency, which everyone talks about.

I'm looking at those too, Glenn the expat—where do you live now?

I realize that I need to clarify whether all 2x2 interfaces work the way my old 8 preamps one works, that is, that using the FMR RNP means that the preamps of a 2x2 interface will always be disconnected or bypassed. If that's the case, then obviously I need to get a 4 preamps one, using 2 of them and the RNP. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? That using the line inputs of any 2 preamps interface will always mean that the preamps will be bypassed?

If it's like that, then I realize that I could sell the RNP, which would allow me to invest more and get a decent 4x4 one.

Germany. Former NDGer! :twisted: I have a RNC and RNP going into my RME Fireface 802. I don't know if bypassing the RME pres is completely possible, I just have the gain turned down on those channels, with the 4th input my hi-z input.

Glenn, I lived a little while in Hamburg, a while ago, and I enjoyed it. Also, thanks Glenn for bringing my attention back to the RME's products.

After more research—and a lot of reflection—I finally financed the purchase of a Babyface Pro FS. :D It looks good, it gets good reviews, and I can't wait to try it out. Right now I'm busy moving everything to the new M1 Macbook Air. I finally got—again after a lot of reflection—the 16GB Ram with a 1TB SSD drive. Exciting times. And busy times too, what with rethinking my whole setup and reinstalling everything from a clean install of Big Sur.

BTW, like with the MOTU that I was considering, the Babyface 4 inputs are independent, so that one can use them simultaneously, which means that I can use its 2 mic preamps plus the 2 from the RNP connected to the RME 2 instrument/line combo inputs.

Talking about that, there's something I still need to clarify. Maybe someone here can help me out with this.

The outputs of the FMR RNP 2 mic preamp are balanced, so I have used balanced TRS cables in the past to connect them into the line inputs in the back of my old interface.

Now, should I use the same, that is, balanced TRS cables, to connect them to the RME 3 and 4 ins? If I understand how the RME works, connecting TS cables turns them into Hi-Z instruments inputs. So that means that I should never connect the FRM RNP balanced ouputs to the RME 3 and 4 inputs with a TS cable.

Do I get that right?

Well, MOTU support informed me that using the M4 line inputs in the back to connect the RNP preamp doesn't affect the 2 front mic inputs. So that clarifies a point for me from my last post, namely that not all 2x2 interfaces bypass the 2 mic preamps when using the line inputs with an external preamp.

For the sake of clarity: a 2x2 interface is an interface that has 2 input channels and 2 output channels. It may have more physical connections but you're always limited by the number of channels you can use simultaneously. So no 2x2 interface can have more than 2 input channels and 2 output channels at the same time.

The MOTU M4 is a 4x4 interface (https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m4/specs/ states a "4-in / 4-out USB audio interface"), that's why it can use the 2 combo-jack inputs in the front (number 1 and 2) for either line or mic or high impedance instruments while at the same time using the 2 line inputs (number 3 and 4) in the back.

MOTU is a solid well known brand that has been around for ever and consistently releases new firmware updates and drivers as needed.

Having said that, RME is just... outstanding stuff. Rock solid driver, high quality build, solid and reliable interfaces, and IMO here you get more bang for your buck. So good choice here. The RME Babyface Pro FS is a 12x12 interface meaning that you'll be able to add even more inputs if you ever need to, using ADAT converters for example such as the Focusrite Octopre or the RME otcamic.

You must be a happy camper. :)

Hey David. I am a happy camper. 8-) A very busy and happy camper, that. So much to learn, to figure out, to upgrade with this new M1, a new OS, new interface...

BTW, about my last question, RME's support confirmed that there are no issues to connect the RNP's outs to the RME's 3 and 4 instrument/line combos with TRS cables.

About adding 8 more inputs, a small question, David. When we do that—I never did—what does it mean? That the RME would be using both the preamps and AD and DA converters of the 8 channels, or only its preamps? Though it's not for now, I'd be interested in adding 8 channels, which made me wonder what's the actual relationship between the Babyface and external ADAT converters. Is the AD/DA conversion's still happening in the Babyface?

I came across the Focusrite Octopre or the RME otcamic. They sure look good, but too expensive for me, right now anyhow—my monthly financing payments' capacity pretty much reached its limit at this point. So, are there cheaper, but still decent enough ADAT converters I could buy that you know of?

bernarada said:
About adding 8 more inputs, a small question, David. When we do that—I never did—what does it mean? That the RME would be using both the preamps and AD and DA converters of the 8 channels, or only its preamps? Though it's not for now, I'd be interested in adding 8 channels, which made me wonder what's the actual relationship between the Babyface and external ADAT converters. Is the AD/DA conversion's still happening in the Babyface?

No, the conversion has to be handled before the babyface for the 8 additional channels. The 8 additional channels have to be fed as a digital audio signal via an ADAT connection to the Babyface, that means you need an 8 channel preamp + A/D converter with an ADAT output to connect to the Babyface.

bernarada said:
I came across the Focusrite Octopre or the RME otcamic. They sure look good, but too expensive for me, right now anyhow—my monthly financing payments' capacity pretty much reached its limit at this point. So, are there cheaper, but still decent enough ADAT converters I could buy that you know of?

The Octopre is a good price point to be honest but if you're on a budget, have a look at the Behringer ADA8200.

• 2 weeks later...

I was using a 'Resident Audio' interface with my 2012 Macbook Pro (then an analogue Audio-Technica Preamp with Windows).

On my new M1 Mac Resident Audio does not work,

I now use the SSL 2+ (Solid State Logic) and it works really well and it really is the best of both worlds for me being 'warm' and noiseless.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to piggy-back on to this discussion but thought it best not to start another thread..

I'm considering buying the 14" Macbook Pro M1 Pro. Is my understanding correct that I can use my RME UFX using an adapter lead only (best avoiding a hub)?

Thank you!