Adapter needed - firewire 800 Apogee duet one to Mac Mini 2020

Go to solution Solved by Mess,

Hi, I've upgraded to MAc Mini M1, I was using my apogee duet one (the old silver duet...), which has firewire 800 which went straight into my old macbook pro mid 2012, no adapter necessary and not a single issue.

Is there an adapter that would connect firewire 800 to any of the ports on the new mac-mini 2020, according to apple terminology these include 2 x thunderbolt USB 4.0 (Type C?) 2 x type-A (which I think is the same as USB 2.0/3.0?),1 x HDMI and 1 x ethernet.

I spoke to 2 apple employees because on the apple website there is a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor, but this does not look compatible and it only states its compatibility up to mac mini 2014, so I'm pretty sure apple were giving me bad advice, hence why i am here

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD464ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter?afid=p238%7CsR0RPnOD5-dc_mtid_187079nc38483_pcrid_432493523477_pgrid_103369707551_&cid=aos-uk-kwgo-pla-btb--slid---product-MD464ZM/A-UK

If I cant get the right adapter I will need to update my audio interface, if so please recommend something compatible under £200, at this point I am only working in the box, using my Apogee duet and monitors and occasionally connecting a mic. But I'd like to keep the old duet if possible as it has been reliable and it's all i need.

Thanks

One suggestion I found on the pro-tools expert site was to get 2 adaptors (dongle into another dongle)

Apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 USB-C adaptor

Interestingly I've had to order one of these already to connect the mac-mini to my old apple thunderbolt display... He goes on to say that if you have one of these displays you can use the firewire 800 in the back and run the audio interface out of the display, which I hadn't even thought of. So when my adapter turns up I'm going to try this solution.

• 3 weeks later...
It was working fine for me for a week or so, now periodically my Duet is crashing, it disconnects and causes the apple display to turn off, so I have to unplug and plug back in the display and audio interface. I'm not sure what the problem is, if the apogee drivers are just not working with M1 or if it's the old apple display which works faultlessly otherwise