To Quantize hi hats or not?

Hi,

So, I produce Pop/RnB/Lofi and I love adding swing to my beats. I usually

add it to my kicks, snares, keys, etc...But sometimes I feel like when I add

swing to my hihats it doesn't lock in with everything else I've added swing too.

If I just quantize the hats to straight 1/16 notes then it locks in nicely....?

And, when you listen to a real drummer's performances, you might notice that (s)he's playing a little loose with the hats (and, rides). Because it's one place where (s)he can! Don't "mechanize" these instruments too much . . . they naturally vary slightly as to the exact strike and the exact timing, much more than for the drums that are "holding down the beat." Then, in certain phrases of the song, the drummer might pay more attention and tighten-up, as the tempo very-slightly speeds up.

• 3 weeks later...
Quick question: You're not using different swing percentages for each drum instrument, are you? Could also be that the kick, snare, etc aren't quantized before the swing is added. I'm also a little puzzled by hearing you say a straight 16th feel "locks in" with everything else that has a swing, which typically is used on 16ths. Mind if I ask if the other drums are quantized to 8th notes?

Hi...I don't quantize and then add swing. So this is what I do. I usually select 1/16 Swing A, B or C for kicks, snares, keys, ect...All of those will be the same. But when it comes to hi hats and I add the same swing parameter they don't sound locked in. When I just quantize to straight 1/16 notes then they sound great. I just don't understand why that is.