best male vocal mic under $1,000?

For context here's my current gear.

Interface: Apollo Twin X

Mic 1: Rode NT1 [ NOT the NT1-A ]

Mic 2: (older) Blue Baby Bottle [ NOT the SL version ]

Was wondering what the best microphone is for this price range. I sing/rap, mainly pop/hip-hop music. I know many people suggest the Slate ML-1, but I feel like that wouldn't utilize the unison preamps properly on my Apollo. So I'm curious what the best type of microphone is for the Apollo, for male vocals. I have a slightly deeper voice than average, not considered a baritone or bass by any means though.

As a side question, which uad unison preamps are best for male pop/hip-hop vocals? I know many people say the voxbox and avalon are good, but just curious what your opinions are.

I've seen a lot of people in the rap game who recently love the JZ Mics (BH2 for example), never used one but does sound (and look) good to me, and is a little different to the usual suspects, particularly if the styling is important to you to 'encourage' the vocal performance.

Ideally you want to be complimenting, or improving on what you have already, so what is it that you're looking for in a new mic that the current fails to deliver? Once edits, EQ and compression has been applied an NT-1 can go a looooong way. You may find that a ribbon mic, for example may offer you a nicer array of options.

Perhaps if you're not sure what it is you want, the ML-1/VMS is a better buy due to it's overall flexibility? I know many in a studio environment who consider it a 'must have', but they are using it across a wide array of sources and desire to get as much right 'at source' as possible, i guess that's not something which would benefit yourself?

Most hit records were made with either high and condensers, which cost between two and six grand, or large diaphragm dynamic microphones like the EVRE20 and The Shure SM7b, Which you might be able to pick up for 300+ second hand. The dynamics also will sound much better in a small, untreated room.

Most hit records were made with either high and condensers, which cost between two and six grand, or large diaphragm dynamic microphones like the EVRE20 and The Shure SM7b, Which you might be able to pick up for 300+ second hand. The dynamics also will sound much better in a small, untreated room.

Billie Eilish' Ocean Eyes was recorded on AT2020, and the debut album on TLM103. :)

I personally use Oktava MK105 for most - it has a very neutral but airy character so it pairs well with a lot of voices for contemporary stuff. I use it more often than I did the AKG C12 i had for 4 years, because it's simply harder to screw something up.

It may not sound "WHOA" from the get go, but it never sound bad. If you screw up pairing with a mic that has a very strong character, it's hard to fix.

• 2 weeks later...