More Gear Recs for Laptop-based Setup

Hey again all,

So as I mentioned in my last post, I'm in grad school now studying screen scoring and moving across the country, I'm working solely with my 16" MBP. (May have my family ship my '08 Mac Pro if I want a VEPro type setup, but right now I'm not sure that I'll need it.) Assessing my needs, I know I need another external drive for my projects, and a good dock/adapter unit to connect all my peripherals. The setup I'm working toward includes:

• • Sample drive, SSD w/ USB 3.2 or TB3
    • Project drive, based on recommendations
    • Backup drive, likely regular USB 3.0(/USB-A)
    • USB-A audio interface
    • 3–4 USB-A MIDI devices
    • iPad Pro, requiring USB-C
    • Ideally the ability to connect two external monitors so the iPad can be used with Logic Remote/Avid Control
    • Power supply

So: brand and speed recommendations for the SSD? I'm leaning toward something 1TB with the ~1GBps speed, but I don't know if that's overkill or not.

Beyond that, it's my understanding that each TB bus (of which the 16" MBP has two) can drive two independent, non-mirrored displays. With my sample drive (and possible project drive) running at 1000 MB/s, I think I need a docking solution that connects all these devices with at least 2 10Gb/s USB-C inputs. Do I have all that accurate? Either way, what huge dock options are you using that you would or would not recommend? Thanks!

Two external monitors for a laptop? That thing is gonna get crazy hot.

That's definitely not something I'm looking forward to, but I do like the idea of having a screen for Arrange (or whatever we call it now), one for plug-ins, and one for the picture I'm scoring, or Finale, or whatever else comes up. I can always use the iPad, but I'd really prefer the control surface options, at least until I decide to get a physical surface…

(I'm not a gearhead by any means, but I learned what makes me most efficient while still using the tower.)

EDIT: Also, thanks for the recommendation!