MacBook Pro 16" - best spec options to mimise fan noise / heat

Hey guys

I'm about to update the studio computer, replacing a desktop Mac and a MacBook Pro combo that I have now, with a single computer for studio and location. Given that the desktop being replaced is a healthily-specced Mac mini, I'm looking for a well-specced laptop.

I'm going with the 16" MacBook Pro, and will opt for 64GB of RAM. That's the easy part!

There has been a lot of discussion about overheating on the current MacBook Pro 16". It appears that i9 units are most severely effected (although some feel the i7s are problematic, too), and depending on who you ask, it seems that the problems aren't combined to a specific DAW. It's clear that Logic is affected by these problems, though.

There's also a general anecdotal consensus that these MacBooks usually only produce excessive fan noise and heat when they're used with an external display. Of course, like many of these things, there haven't been any solid analytical tests done - but it does appear that lots of people have suffered these issues with their new MacBook Pro 16".

So. I'm looking for some guidance with my purchase - to try to minimise fan noise and heat to the extent that's possible, by choosing the right specs.

As context: my setup revolves around Logic Pro X primarily, and I use fairly sample-heavy / processor heavy plug-ins like Omnisphere, Superior Drummer, and a number of large orchestral sample libraries from Spitfire. I'm aware that the choice of 64GB of RAM will significantly help with performance from these large libraries.

Anyway - here are my questions.

First: Does the internal GPU make a difference to the way an external screen functions, and the demands placed on the laptop? If I'm choosing between the Radeon 5300M or 5500M (the 5600M is out of my price range), will one of these do a better job of comfortably operating my external display, and minimising fan noise and excessive heat?

It seems pretty simple to choose either, and the pricing isn't wildly different, so I'm keen to understand whether the more powerful GPU (5500M) is more capable at keeping noise and heat at bay. (I'm not overly technical when it comes to graphics, as I don't do video work or gaming.)

Second: How about the processor? The choices I have are the 2.6GHz 6-core i7, the 2.3GHz 8 core i9, or the slight bump to a 2.4GHz 8 core i9. I'm fairly confident that all of these would run the projects I intend to run... so my question relates specifically to fan noise and heat. Does the 2.6GHz 6-core i7 unit run cooler and quieter by nature? Or do the 8-core i9 processors have the edge here? Or are these processors (all from the same 9th generation family) all similar in the circumstances in which they produce heat and noise?

If anyone has experienced both the 6 and 8 core processors personally, and compared them, I'd love to hear your thoughts? (I recall that early in the piece, a few people on here posted about returning 8-core MBP16s and replacing them with 6-core units, to try to deal with excessive fan noise they were experiencing).

If anyone's able to help - either with a better understanding of these spec choices (especially the GPUs - in a music context), or your own first-hand experience with these processors and how hot and noisy they've been when under heavy and light loads, I'd really value your thoughts!

Thanks again guys!

Mike

The only direct experience I’ve had with the 16”, is a few minutes with one at the Apple Store a few months ago. Honestly, I don’t remember the exact spec I was playing with, but it got hot super quick. Couldn’t tell if the fans came on (the store is always super loud). All I had open was Logic and a single audio track playing. I wasn’t impressed. I also did the same on the 13” model, which I remember being an i5. Same, almost instant heat up. Again, not impressed and I walked away ho-hum about the whole idea of replacing my current Macbook.

My current 13” (2013 i5 w/8gb ram) rarely gets warm, never hot, and I never hear the fans while working in Logic.

So I dunno. The 2020 13” has caught my eye, as its got a new processor and supports up to 32gb of ram. Reviews from people using media intensive apps seem to be favorable, but I’ve yet to talk to anyone first hand doing music production with one.