how do you guys get DEEP distorted kicks?

hey guys, ive been trying to make effective techno kicks these last few weeks and whenever i distort it (both the dry signal and a reverb rumble) i feel that the lower frequencies become a bit messy. i usually saturate the kick then distort it and on both channels (dry bus and reverb bus) then join the on a single kick channel and mix it (compress etc) however when i boost the low signals on the eq they become a bit messy> i do hp/lp the reverb. To bypass this today i used an 808 with all frequencies above 60 hz cut and cut the low frewuencies on the kick at 60hz. it sounds better... but i think there has to be a way to get the kick deep on its own while distorting it. any suggestions?

why are you using ANY reverb on the kick? anyway, don't boost the low eq, roll off a little mids, compress the hell out of it, end with a limiter.

after the compression (or before) try a distortion effect or the overdrive plugin.

full disclosure:i mostly do deep basses/bass drums, but no distortion (more pop/hip hop-oriented work).

It always seemed to me that the essence of what was actually going on was a serious abuse of compression.

compression will, of course, squash the hell out of a sound, but some sort of overload, or distortion is still needed to get distortion (altho i suppose some horrifically-eq'd and overly-compressed kick drum could be fun....)

thanks for the answers! i am using a second bus to get a reverb rumble on the kick. i do compress it after distorting(amping) and saturating it. i solved my problem by changing the original sample for a more punchy one. buuut, i feel like most samples i have peak at 80-100 hz and i feel like a good 50hz boost wold make it crazy! anyone know a good deep kick sample pack? how common is 808 sub layering on a kick?

i do a lot of 808 bass lines; if i combine that with a kick, it's clicky, i roll the bass OFF of it... so they don't compete for the same frequency range.

sometimes i just use an 808 with a short attack, and no bass drum. but (again), this is more pop/hiphop stuff).

def experiment! best way to find what works... for you.