Name a great MIDI keyboard controller for Logic Pro X in 2020.

Hello guys,

I am considering replacing my old M-AUDIO Axiom 49 mkII with something newer and more functional, but I can't decide which of the current MIDI keyboards are worth it. What I'm looking for is a pre-mapped controller that can control both virtual instruments and mixer. At least 61 keyboards, don't necessarily need pads, cause I'm using a Launchpad X on the side.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The main standout 3 for me are:-

The Nektar Panorama P Series - very good integration, keys can be a little rattly and pads not great. But mines been solid for 5-6 years and in that time used it across Logic, Cubase, REAPER and Studio One and integration works great for all of them.

The Arturia Keylab 61 Mk2 - more of a players keyboard (Solid construction, better keys, better pads but pre-maps limited to included Analog Lab plugin). I really like these, but be prepared to map via MIDI CC outside of Analog Lab.

Then you have the NI Komplete Kontrol S61 mk2 - which map great, keys great, but you need to run wrappers to get the most from them. The whole wrapper suitability is subjective to each user of course.

There's always a bit of a tradeoff as you can see.

Just don't get blindsided by the mapping/technicalities too much. In use 'How' they play and control is as important as 'what' they can do.

Also, in regards to mixer control - i think the NI Kontrols are probably better as you turn a knob based on the screen values, which means that you're not being confused by faders in physical positions that differ to on-screen. Also the NI screens can show longer track names than most other controllers which are limited to 8 chars.

Faders for mixing, really, are better when motorised.

Edited by skijumptoes

I bought an 88-key M-Audio controller – a very heavy(!) thing with lots of knobs, sliders and switches that I thought I needed. But, I never used them. Then one day the whole thing just "up and died." I wound up buying a Korg KROSS-2 synthesizer, also 88-key, and I love it. If ever I decide that I need "knobs, switches and dials," I'm going to invest in a separate USB device that specializes in that, and does that one thing very well.

To me, absolutely the most important thing is: "play it." Go somewhere where you can put your own fingers on the keys.

I bought an 88-key M-Audio controller – a very heavy(!) thing with lots of knobs, sliders and switches that I thought I needed. But, I never used them. Then one day the whole thing just "up and died." I wound up buying a Korg KROSS-2 synthesizer, also 88-key, and I love it. If ever I decide that I need "knobs, switches and dials," I'm going to invest in a separate USB device that specializes in that, and does that one thing very well.

With Logic there's always the option of sticking an ipad on your controller and running the Eucon App anyway - very good integration, kinda in the same vein as using modern workstations with touchscreens too.

Best part is that it's free app and Eucon control/driver is also. Recommend it very much, beats MCU into the ground.

• 2 months later...
The Arturia Keylab 61 Mk2 - more of a players keyboard (Solid construction, better keys, better pads but pre-maps limited to included Analog Lab plugin). I really like these, but be prepared to map via MIDI CC outside of Analog Lab.

According to the Arturia page for the KeyLab 61 mkII, there are "presets for multiple DAWs, with magnetic overlays for controls." I can't find the reference just now, but I've read that such an overlay is included for Logic Pro X. But I'm not sure that's too awfully important anyway...

Another route is to use the built-in LPX support for various keyboards. According to LPX support, that is offered for the KeyLab 61 (the mkII is not separately listed)... but the support can come at a price. For example, if you enable LPX's support for the Arturia MiniLAB, the MiniLAB can no longer control AudioLab preset selection, macros, etc. It's either/or. So if that's important to you, you'll probably end up doing manual configuration anyway.

The other awkward thing about built-in support is that it is designed for the generic user, but the UX isn't that great. First, the knobs and pads won't really be labeled so you're going to have to figure them out yourself. Second, if the controls YOU want to use aren't those mapped by either Arturia (in the first case) or Apple (in the second case), you're going to have to figure out how to do the manual mapping anyway.

Find a keybed you like and a set of controls that will suffice, then map them yourself. It's a bit of a pain but it widens your options and lets you configure exactly what you need.