Noob question about sequencer and midi keyboard

Hi everyone,

I moved across the country and left my standard size electronic keyboard behind. I am planning on buying something smaller and I hope to write orchestra and electric hybrid kind of music. I was considering buying a Midi keyboard, but then I stumped upon videos about Arturia Keystep Sequencer. I am wondering what are the differences between them, and which one should I go for first?

Thanks!

I think it's fair to say that this is "a small and narrow keyboard that contains a built-in hardware sequencer." "Well, do you think that you need that?" Yes ... it's entirely up to you.

"If you have Logic Pro X," of course, you have immediate access to a software sequencer.

So – in your anticipated future workflows, and of course based on your past experience, "what's really most important to you?" If a hardware sequencer is desirable to you, and the width of the keyboard and the feel of the keys is okay with you, then "yeah, this looks like a nice axe." But still I'd suggest that you find yourself a local music store where you can actually sit down and play it for an extended period of time. ("This isn't just a blind date – this is gonna be a marriage.")

My latest "axe," a Korg KROSS-2, actually is a true "music workstation" and sometimes I actually do find myself using its "goodies" to work out some details of a project without firing-up Logic. Sometimes it's kinda nice to fiddle around with an idea "off-line."

But there are problems - such as, "if I've worked out some hardware sequence, how can I export it (to Logic)?" So far, I find that I cannot ... I have to re-create the thing, which usually is not a big deal.

The professionals who create demo videos are very good at making you salivate for whatever-it-is that they are selling. :) But it just comes down to you. (For instance, I'd be saying, "bzzzt... does not have 88 keys ...")

Nevertheless: "so many cool toys out there, and so little time."

Thank you you all for replying and giving me advice.

I think I'm going to slow down and start from the beginning. If I am only composing, mixing, and producing, do I necessarily need an audio interface and a monitor? This is what has been suggested from the "...for Dummies" book I just started reading.

"Y'know, I'd just start slow." Think about how you want to approach this, then think about what hardware you [think you ...] need now. (Emphasis: "now." As my Spanish-speaking friends say, "poco a poco.")

Decide for yourself what keyboard you like. Only you can decide. (And, I suggest, "only when you play it." You never know when you might fall in love with a cute puppy or kitten ...)

My latest "axe" actually includes an audio interface, but I've also seen plenty of used (why not?) interfaces at my local music-haunt for sometimes less than $40 (USD). Well, when you've concluded that your computer's built-in-speakers aren't good enough anymore and you're ready to buy microphones, then it matters.

Monitors might be great but daresay they can wait a long while. Get good earphones. (All computer speakers suck. Earbuds are even worse ... until you need to listen to how actual users will actually listen to your music.)

Really, the beauty of it is ... at least for amateurs like you 'n me ... is that "we really have so(!) many options available to us," at very affordable prices, "that will do just fine, for now." (And, I repeat: "remember to look for 'gently used' equipment" that your retailer will sell you with at least a 90-day warranty. There's probably nothing wrong with it ...)

• 3 weeks later...
I love my Panorama P6. On the lower end of the spectrum, M-Audio Oxygen are decent. If I were in the market for one today I would also look at the Arturia KeyLab Essential which looks great on paper (never tried one though).
How well will the Oxygen map to Logic. Also will it give me everything I need to complete your excellent book. Thanks

It would work fine but it's lacking drum pads and knobs if you want to remote control plug-in parameters, filters, things like that. But more importantly it's a compact keybed, meaning the keys are not full size, they're tiny ones. That's fine for traveling but in the studio I prefer to have full size keys. It's a personal choice of course.

It would work fine but it's lacking drum pads and knobs if you want to remote control plug-in parameters, filters, things like that. But more importantly it's a compact keybed, meaning the keys are not full size, they're tiny ones. That's fine for traveling but in the studio I prefer to have full size keys. It's a personal choice of course.
Thanks. I agree! Amazing!

Sounds good. Whatever you end up working with I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy. :D
So (as you asked) I got the Clavinova working with Logic (amazing) and have bought an M-Audio Oxygen 25 which I will be setting up to do the next two lessons in your book (very excited!). Well it's all keeping me sane during lockdown if nothing else!!

So (as you asked) I got the Clavinova working with Logic (amazing) and have bought an M-Audio Oxygen 25 which I will be setting up to do the next two lessons in your book (very excited!). Well it's all keeping me sane during lockdown if nothing else!!

Great!! That's good news. If you run into questions while gong through the book, ask in the forum! :D

Great!! That's good news. If you run into questions while gong through the book, ask in the forum! :D

Will do!!! Thanks

• 2 months later...
My latest "axe," a Korg KROSS-2, actually is a true "music workstation" and sometimes I actually do find myself using its "goodies" to work out some details of a project without firing-up Logic. Sometimes it's kinda nice to fiddle around with an idea "off-line."

But there are problems - such as, "if I've worked out some hardware sequence, how can I export it (to Logic)?" So far, I find that I cannot ... I have to re-create the thing, which usually is not a big deal.

Can't you simply play the sequence and capture the MIDI in Logic? Even when you have local control on, the MIDI data goes to the OUT port.

Also, you could get the .MID files which contain the sequencer data. They're Standard MIDI (SMF) files, and are on the SD card.