Geting a new Audio interface, changing from US Apollo x8, would like something “without” Console except for routings

Hey again.

Might as well see what you guys have to say about an audio interface as well. I currently have an Apollo 8x. It’s good and stable but I’m not very fond of the workflow with console, not software monitoring so forth... therefore I plan on “upgrading” it to something more suiting but I just feel so insecure about this.

I started with planning on getting an iMac 27 with Intel i5 3.7 GHz to handle some plugins while tracking and keeping a low latency and I hope you guys can confirm it is sufficient in the other thread.

The interface doesn’t need to be better than the Apollo, I would prefer if it wasn’t much worse though. Stable low latency drivers is a must.

I prefer lots of inputs for the sake of being able to set everything up so that I can create a template and just press record when I want but if there’s a benefit to having an interface with less inputs I’m listening (I rarely record more than 2 inputs (except for when I record my drum

Machines but say 2 inputs in the interface + expansion possibilities) but I currently feel that I’d be satisfied with 16 inputs on the interface and 2 x optical AD inputs, a total of 32 input channels but I could do with a total of 24 channels as well but as I said i can probably manage with less but I’m lazy, don’t want to patch every time I change instrument but I could get used to it.

I have looked a bit at the MOTU 16A and heard from someone that uses it as his only interface and he said or worked great so I have hope but it means I need to find an external preamp for it but it might actually be good for me if it doesn’t totally empty my wallet of course though if the interface costs about the same as the MOTU 16A I’ll have some money over from selling my Apollo 8x that I could spend, say on a preamp if I get an interface without preamps.

About outputs I need about 2 outputs for monitoring and 2 outputs for sending to outboard gear, other than that I’m good.

What else to think about?

Any tips on interfaces

What’s your thought?

(I rarely record more than 2 inputs (except for when I record my drum Machines but say 2 inputs in the interface + expansion possibilities) but I currently feel that I’d be satisfied with 16 inputs on the interface and 2 x optical AD inputs, a total of 32 input channels but I could do with a total of 24 channels as well

You're not recording more than 2 inputs but would be satisfied with 16 inputs plus optical expansion on the interface?

Not making much sense here.

I would stick with the Apollo like I replied on your other thread. I has enough preamps and routing capabilities.

Spend your money on the iMac and get the i9.

• 1 month later...
I've been a MOTU interface user since the original "Blueface" 828's came out and I finally retired my 828 Hybrid Mk3 for a UAD Apollo x6 interface. I could not stand CueMix on the MOTU and the new AVB units - software (at a glance) seemed too confusing so I opted for the Apollo x6 with Console software and I couldn't be happier. Great workflow. Only thing missing on the Apollo is the front panel Mic connectors but I purchased a combo patchbay to solve that problem. I also have a MOTU 8Pre USB that I plan on retiring at some point for a Apollo x8p. Looking forward to LUNA although I can't imagine it replacing the Midi capabilities of LPX.