Learning compression...

I would like to learn compression, in music production. How to use it, knowing when to use it, etc.

I'I've watched quite a few tutorials, one for ADSR also, and I still just can't get it. I'm not expecting to master it, i would just really like to know how to actually use it properly, to compress drums, bass, and stuff.

I know it's a very important tool (can be) and i think that it's essential that i understand it.

Do any of you know any good tutorials that are gaurenteed to help me learn and come out actually understanding how to use them.

I use Logic pro, and make House and Techno.

Thanks!

I think one of the biggest things that helped me finally start to "get it" a couple years ago was purchasing Fabfilter's Pro-C and Pro-MB. These plugins are just so clear in what they are doing that it really helps to understand what's going on.

The introduction video for Pro-C is pretty great:

Pro-C2 (current version of the plugin) has an even better visual interface but the video for Pro-C2 is way more advanced. I wouldn't watch it for a while haha.

Also - the Recording Revolution has a lot of great free videos on Youtube. 

While watching tutorials helps a ton, make sure to play with compression quite a bit on your music which will help it make sense. Play with more extreme settings on the threshold and ratio so that you really hear what it's doing, particularly for when you're trying to learn what the attack and release settings are doing to the music.

• 2 weeks later...