Weird happy accident with wah wah pedal!

Stumbled across this cool 'tone boost' thing. I record my guitar mostly DI using the amp modellers in Logic to sculpt my sound. To date I've been fairly happy with this arrangement but recently got hold of a Fender Jag and the tricks I use to get a good, workable electric guitar sound weren't really working with this Jag - it wasn't cutting it. Don't get me wrong, it sounded 'OK' just not as good as I'd hoped for. Thing is, I really love the guitar and I wanted it to work for me in my recording arrangement so I tried a couple of other ideas that I don't normally have to bother with where my other electric guitars are concerned. I got out my old pedals from my 'gigging days' and was trying a few in-line between my guitar and interface. I wasn't hearing anything better than I get with the Logic amp modellers so I gave up and just got reacquainted with my old Dunlop CryBaby pedal (it's been a while!) by having a little funky 'wah wah' jam with myself. Once I'd got the 'Starsky & Hutch' theme out of my system I disengaged the wah sound and .. "WHOAH! What's that beautiful clean guitar sound & where's it coming from?!" With the 'Wah' function disabled (so I'm just bypassing the effect) I'm hearing the guitar in a completely new way! All the lovely sonic tones of the guitar are jumping out at me and, for the first time, I am now hearing this particular guitar in a way I want to hear it. Of course I then took the pedal out of the equation and just plugged the guitar directly straight back into the interface for comparative purposes and there was noticeable ... I dunno, 'tone suck' would be a way to describe it. So now I have my sound (for Fender Jags at least). A simple CryBaby pedal unengaged between my guitar and interface and the guitar is now sounding great - a happy accident I thought I'd share with you. It worked for me! (One for the techies out there: Why should this be the case? It's not like the pedal is activated.)

It's probably a buffer, which on many guitar pedals is in-circuit whether the pedal is bypassed or not. It will definitely provide a louder signal to your interface, and may be a better impedance match for your guitar circuitry as well.

I always have something buffered between the guitar and the DI/amp/whatever. Usually it's the trusty Boss TU-2.