Thoughts on NI S61 keyboard

Hi

I have the S49 MK2 and got it one year agow.

The keyboard it self is great, nice keys (im not a piano player) with a nice and easy action. The build quality is also great so no problems there.

If you are using the keyboard without a computer, eg. connected to at rack synth the kontrols jumps in the value of the parameterem, they dont pick up even tho they are endless kontrolers.

When used with a computer the intergration is grerat - logic pro finds it and everything works-

Plugins that are supported by NI work super easy - browsing thru patches with preview and sub catogries easy to find sounds. The problem is Plugins that is not supported by NI is a problem. You can save all patches with controler assigment but you will have to save each patch induvidual. Think of omnisphere 3000 spunds you will have to save....

And then you will have to make audio previw and you cant make sub catagori yourself.

You can buy files that has been converted and have audio preview. Check what plugins you are using and check if they are NKS supported. I the plugin come with NKS fils just remember that if you buy extra sound they may not have NKS files included.

The Komplete kontrol software is working but has a lot of strange thinks and NI dosen't sent out a log of updated - i Think i have updated once. Im on mac and KK only read VST plugin so you will have to install both AU and VST version and not VST3.

Would I buy it again: yes it's still a great keyboard, and the ideea with komplete kontroll is great but not with non supported plugins.

I have an S88MKI and an S61MKII and I love love love them.

I seem to be one of the few that haven't had any problems between Komplete Kontrol and Logic.

Keep in mind if you want to use any of those cool arpeggiator and chord functions, you have to go through the Komplete Kontrol plug in.

And through Komplete Kontrol, you can use all the nice automation functions with NKS compatible plug ins.

For your plug ins that aren't NKS compatible, you can create your own map through the Komplete Kontrol app, it wont give you all the bells and whistles of NKS compatibility, but you'll at least be able to automate parameters of your plug in.

If you want NKS compatibility with non NKS plug ins, there are third party people who are actively working on them.

Some are free, some aren't.

Over on the NI forums, look up the user JesterMgee, he sells NKS packs for many third party non NKS native plug ins, his work is the best.

Thanks docone and pranaearth. Since posting the above I have waded through the NI forums looking at posts about the Komplete Kontrollers. It does seem that many have ‘issues’ with MK2’s and logic which was putting me off a bit, particularly all the posts about sustain pedal issues.

But docone’s comment about it not working in the Kontrol app unless it was a VST plugin (ie no AUs) has probably put me right off them. Can I just confirm that in order to use my Komplete software with the MK2 and fully benefit from the Kontrol app I’ll have to install the VST versions as opposed to just the AUs?

Thanks for the moment I am going ‘hot and cold’ on the whole idea. I would appreciate any more arguments one way or the other: I have Komplete Ultimate, omnisphere, and am only really starting to use them. I have a MatrixBrute that is almost unused and am thinking I want something with tight Logic integration.

For omnisphere you can buy a pack with all the standard sounds from jester (a KK guru) and all NI works out of the box.

There is a free program called preset magician (runs in virtual windows) that can make patches and audio preview of a lot of instruments, you need to have the plugin in windows format too or better if you have a buddy that using windows he can convert them for you.

If you are on Mac and you've installed a plug in, you probably already have AU and VST versions on your hard drive.

Komplete Kontrol plug in itself comes in VST and AU.

I look at it this way, if there is a vst version only plug in for Mac, the KK plug in would be a great way to host vst only plug ins.

Keep in mind it may sound like there's a huge problem, but the only people that say anything are the people that have the actual problem, you never hear anybody popping into a forum and saying "everything's great!"

I personally have not run into any of the problems reported on the forums.

Disclaimer: I did have the problem, but I'm one of the many that beta test for NI.

My system got so fubar, I had to completely uninstall and reinstall everything NI related in my computer.

After doing so, it's been smooth sailing.

The NI people were never able to find out what the problem was.

And I already stated, you can create templates that control plug inst that don't use the NKS standard.

Just in case I ever do run into any problem of KK not remembering my templates, I have them backed up in a different location, so I don't have to go through the hassle of redoing them.

As per the sustain pedal, I only had an issue setting it up, but once I did, I've never had an issue with it.

As for Omnisphere, I don't own it, but this guy does great work!

https://freelancesoundlabs.com/index.php/downloads/komplete-kontrol-vst-packs/itemlist/category/107-spectrasonics

I still think that the S61 Mk2 is one of the best midi keyboards on the marked and I would buy it again.

I was in the same situation as you when I got mine, and I also had lots of thoughts.

I still hope that NI will release updates more often and listen a lot more to the users and not only to themselves.

I don't like the endless page scrolling to find parameters to automate, for synths that have many parameters. I'm sure there's a way around it but I haven't found how to do it yet.

I am a fan of sliders, and endlessly turning knobs to raise and lower faders in the mixer is tiring.

On Mac, you have to make sure that if you install an NI plug in, you have to run the parent version first before running the plug in.

And if you install a regular plug in, restart the computer.

I think many issues come from not following cautious installation procedure.

The touch strip is in the worst place possible, right under the pitch bend and modulation wheels.

I'm constantly resting my wrist there and moving the value.

In Komplete Kontrol itself, I don't like how all the patches are in alphabetical order, and scrolling through large lists of patches is exhausting.

In Logic, trying to print the exact notes form the chord function or the arpeggiator is not worth(for me) the hassle of the workarounds needed.

That's about it. If I can think of anything else, I'll add to the post here.