EXS - can't get groups to Xfade [SOLVED]

camillo jr

I'm trying to get the different vowel sounds to xfade in the Classical Female Swells EXS preset and I'd like to have the vowels xfade via the modwheel, instead of being discretely one or the other as they are currently set up to do via the modwheel.

I've pretty much done all the same things I normally do with the other instruments - set sample select to be controlled via Control 1, set xfade amount etc, but it's not working. In edit window, I've copied the way it looks in other instrument's windows, including getting rid of the high and low assignments for the mod wheel.

If anyone wants to have a look under the hood, I've attached the preset-in-progress to this thread.

Classical Female Swells_xfade.exs.zip

I've pretty much done all the same things I normally do with the other instruments - set sample select to be controlled via Control 1, set xfade amount etc, but it's not working. In edit window, I've copied the way it looks in other instrument's windows, including getting rid of the high and low assignments for the mod wheel.

Apparently you forgot to set the velocity ranges for your zones?

Ah, new learning about the edit window. I've never had to do this before. Can it be done to the group as a whole? I just tried and I can only get the bottom of the "blue zone" to move up but not the top to move down.

And why would I need to adjust this parameter if I'm not actually using velocity to do the switching?

EDIT:

OK, got it working now. Thanks for the tip David! (This might also open up some refinements with other instruments.)

In the Edit window's Zones Tab, I selected all zones from within a group and then was able to drag the top and bottom boundaries of the velocity settings around for an entire group at once. The result is a very nice xfade between all vowel groups. I might have to eliminate some of the vowels though.... as it is is now, the modwheel makes the whole choir go "woooowww". Hilarious!

And why would I need to adjust this parameter if I'm not actually using velocity to do the switching?

In the instrument editor, velocity ranges are mapped to certain zones or certain groups. Then in the EXS24, by default, "Velocity" is mapped to "Sample Select". But if you change "Velocity" to "CC#1" then you now have CC#1 controlling the velocity ranges you've set in the instrument editor.

I guess in the instrument editor, the parameter mapped to certain zones/groups should be called "Sample Select" and not "Velocity Range" - but then most people using the EXS24 with its default settings would be wondering how to adjust the velocity range of a group, and once you explain it to them, they'd be wondering why it's called "Sample Select" and not simply "Velocity Range"! :mrgreen:

Makes sense, thanks again.

Now that I know how this works, I've just discovered that some of the default velocity ranges in certain instruments have settings for the occasional zone that don't always match the overall group's range. Fixing these might help some sounds to be smoother overall; I'm going to have to experiment.