Changing Pitch & Tempo at the same time

thetermination

Hey y'all! I'd like to know the easiest way(s) to change pitch & tempo at the same time! I have a couple of questions!

I think the AUPitch plugin is perfect, is there something similar that changes the tempo too at the same time?

Also "Time Stretch Region to Nearest Bar"/"Time Stretch Region to Locators" is great, is there a way to change the pitch at the same time, so that it matches with the time stretch?

It'd be great is someone could help me out, if none of these can change both pitch & tempo at the same time, then what do you use to do that?

Thanks!

PS. Btw, I know "Time and Pitch Machine" exists but I don't like that at all actually.. The 2 methods I wrote about is much easier, if only there was a way to make 'em change both time stretch and pitch..

Thanks a lot everyone for helping me out!

You could use the Time and Pitch machine (from the Factory menu in the sample editor) in classic mode:

FeedBass.cst.zipspeed.png[/attachment]

2 problems:

1. I can't choose what exactly bpm I wan't becuase it sais "In Classic Transposition Mode, Tempo and Length Change are determined by Transposition." when I try to change it! Let's say I wanted it to 93 from 113,0470 (which i actually wanted now when I tested this out), the closest thing to 93 is 93,0500, I know it's close, but is there a way to choose exactly what bpm I wan't?

2. Beer Moth, as you said it's destructive, what do you mean by a copy? Do I have to copy every file I wan't to change so the whole file dosen't change?

And oh, That flex description sounded good but I tried it out and I don't quite understand how to use it(?)

Thanks!

• 8 years later...
Actually, T&P does not 'just transpose' in Classic mode, it changes pitch and tempo, just like tape does when you change its speed, and this is precisely what Flex in Speed mode does.

Well, that's exactly my definition of transposing (maybe because I work with old hardware samplers). When you change pitch + speed (like tape or vinyl player) you don't stretch, just transpose. Throw a sample into Logic's Sampler and play across keyboard. It plays the sample back using 'just transposing', not stretching. Pitch/Tune knob on Synth page in Sampler also works this way.

That's time stretching + transposing. Let's say you have drum loop at 120bpm. If you want to transpose it +12 semitones but keep the tempo, you have to stretch it to 200% first. Otherwise it will play back at 240bpm (like it does in Logic Sampler or hardware samplers from the 80s/90s which don't have enough CPU power to time-stretch on the fly).

That is terminology firmly rooted in, as you said, 80/90 sampling tech, which I have used to great lengths from Korg DSS1 to Fairlight I, II and III to NED Synclavier, but also it applies only there.

I guess we do agree that changing the speed of a tape recording gives the same results as changing the speed of a sample, that is, pitch and tempo changes in fixed relation to each other. However, I would also guess that you would not call halving or doubling the tape speed 'transposing'.

Then, to transpose a part into another key, which by definition keeps the tempo, does not merely apply to MIDI notes, you can also transpose a recorded guitar part (or a sample thereof) or a car crash into another key, which all must result in changed pitch but unchanged tempo if you intend to keep producer and musician happy.

Also, if you look into Logic's Region Inspector, you will find a Transpose parameter which, regardless of MIDI or Audio Regions, invariably means 'change the pitch but keep the tempo'.

Anyway, I think your original question is answered, the rest is semantics.

Also, if you look into Logic's Region Inspector, you will find a Transpose parameter which, regardless of MIDI or Audio Regions, invariably means 'change the pitch but keep the tempo'.

Yes! Inspector stretches audio by default to keep coherent behaviour between audio and midi. Thats why I used Sampler as an example where if you want to retain tempo you have to enable Flex. BTW I'm switching from Ableton Live where transposing audio region works like tape/vinyl (MIDI regions don't have access to transpose knob). To retain tempo you have to enable WARP (Flex equivalent).

Anyway, I think your original question is answered, the rest is semantics.

Yes, thank you, just the description on Apple User Guide pages got me confused:

Speed time stretches material by playing the source material faster or slower, including pitch change