Why can't you delete the original audio file?

Sonicboy

I just found this curious, and was wondering what the "logic" behind it is?

If I import an audio track, let's say from itunes, into Logic, and then close my Logic project and delete the original audio file in itunes, I get a warning next time I try to open the Logic project, because it "cannot find" the original audio file. In order for the Logic project to function, the original audio file must be on your computer.

I just find this strange. I use Photoshop, and if you import a photo into a new project, the new project exists as its own entity; you can delete the original photo file, and the project will still work regardless. Most programs work this way. Why is this not the case in Logic?

A Logic project file does not exist "as its own entity" as you call it: a project is basically just a list of regions, where they start, where they stop, and what audio file they refer to. You still need to have the audio file at the same location on your hard disk in order for Logic to play it back. Logic Pro being a "pro" application expects you to manage your audio files however you see fit, rather than taking care of it for you (like the "consumer" application GarageBand for example). This offers much more flexibility to the user - but along with flexibility comes responsibility!

By default Logic Pro to behaves like GarageBand and creates a self contained project folder: a folder that contains everything you need to have your project playback. The only difference is that GarageBand does not easily let you access the content of the project folder - while Logic does. To use that default behavior, choose File > Save As and make sure "Include Audio Assets" is selected at the bottom of your save as window, along with " (those are default settings). Then Logic makes a project folder (of your project name), and that project folder contains the project file (the .logic file itself, which is nothing but a list of regions and where they start/stop and what file they reference) AND an "Audio Files" folder containing the audio files used by the project.

Hope that helps?

1947886731_Picture4.png.8f3dbeace06e91bc94b7998da8ad56fc.png

I'm a bit confused. So what you're saying is that the original audio file MUST exist somewhere on your computer; and if I check "include assets" AND "Copy external audio files to project folder" when I save a Logic project, I can delete the original audio file from my computer and I won't have any problem opening the Logic project next time, because Logic will have saved a copy in a unique project folder?

I'm a bit confused.

That's not true, you just think you are confused...

The original audio file MUST exist somewhere on your computer; and if I check "include assets" AND "Copy external audio files to project folder" when I save a Logic project, I can delete the original audio file from my computer and I won't have any problem opening the Logic project next time, because Logic will have saved a copy in a unique project folder?

See? You understand perfectly well. :wink:

I'm a bit confused. So what you're saying is that the original audio file MUST exist somewhere on your computer; and if I check "include assets" AND "Copy external audio files to project folder" when I save a Logic project, I can delete the original audio file from my computer and I won't have any problem opening the Logic project next time, because Logic will have saved a copy in a unique project folder?

Yes. But why don't you simply try it? I find that's the best way to understand how Logic works: make a test session, record some audio, drag and drop some audio from your desktop for example, and see how Logic organizes everything for you in the project folder.

By default Logic Pro to behaves like GarageBand and creates a self contained project folder]

Sorry David, but this statement is not absolutely correct. Logic creates a Project File which is a standard file placed inside a standard folder, the Project Folder. GarageBand on the other hand creates a Project File which is a package file which is special folder containing the actual GarageBand file and other files and assets. See details below

To understand the concept and how different application use slightly different variations of that concept, you have to be aware of one problem that all those apps are facing and that is Asset Management.

Most so called "content-creation apps" (Logic, GarageBand, Photoshop, FFCP, Pages, etc.) create a main data file (Project File) that contains the basic information about what you are creating. In addition to that file, other files are used. For example, importing audio files in Logic, importing images in Photoshop, importing audio and video files in FCP and even little graphics in your Pages document. All these additional files are referred to as "Assets". Each application has a way how to manage those additional files, that is the Asset Management.

Importing Assets

When you import any of these files to your Project, you are not actually adding them to your main data file. The only thing you are adding to the file is the link to the location where the "asset" file is stored. The application has two options.

• Leave the assets: In this scenario, the file you are importing stays where it is. This is dangerous because when the file is getting deleted (not knowing that it is used in Project xyz), your Project is in trouble
    Copy the assets: In this scenario, the application copies the file to a specific location.

To Copy or not to Copy

Many apps let the user make the decision (to more or less degree) if he wants to leave the asset files at their original location or copy them to specific location. In Logic, that is configured in the Projects Settings under Assets or in the Save Dialog (see the screenshot in David's post)

Copy to Where

Even if the app copies the assets file to a specific location, different apps handle that "specific location differently.

• Standard Folder: When you save a new Logic Project, it creates a Folder that contains the data file, Logic Project file. Inside the same folder are the other files and subfolder that contain the various asset files. All the files are visible and follow the basic Finder file structure. You can freely copy and move files in and out (as long as you know the consequences).
    Package File: This is a similar concept where the app creates a Folder and organizes everything inside that folder. However there is one big difference. The folder looks like a file and you cannot open it with a simple double-click in the Finder. These are so called "Package File", that look from the outside like files but are actually folders. To open that special folder you have to use the "Show Package Content" command from the file's shortcut menu. These Package Files (also referred to as Bundles, although there is a difference between a Package and a Bundle) are widely used. They "walk among us" everywhere in the Finder disguised as standard files. GarageBand Project Files use that concept. You see a file (with the extension .band) but this is actually a folder that contains the data file and all the assets)
    Restricted Folder Location. Fnal Cut Pro X uses another variation to handle assets and projects. It forces a specific folder location and hierarchy where project files and assets have to be placed.

Last Thought:

If you wonder how Logic X will be different than Logic9, this is an area to speculate, where I'm sure that the current Asset Management in Logic9 will not stay. Apple uses more modern concepts with the Package Files and the way asset management is handled in the new FCPx that could indicate where Logic X is heading. Maybe the file format even follows FCPx where the Project File will be a database file with all its advantages (and unknown future obstacles)

By default Logic Pro to behaves like GarageBand and creates a self contained project folder]

Sorry David, but this statement is not absolutely correct. Logic creates a Project File which is a standard file placed inside a standard folder, the Project Folder. GarageBand on the other hand creates a Project File which is a package file which is special folder containing the actual GarageBand file and other files and assets.

I don't see how that makes my statement incorrect: GB's Project File is the equivalent of Logic's project folder except GB by default hides access to the content of its Project File (aka folder in Logic). The naming is different, but the structure is the same, only it's hidden in GB, accessible in Logic.

I don't see how that makes my statement incorrect: GB's Project File is the equivalent of Logic's project folder except GB by default hides access to the content of its Project File (aka folder in Logic). The naming is different, but the structure is the same, only it's hidden in GB, accessible in Logic.

I didn't say it is incorrect, I said it is "not absolutely correct". What I want to point out is that the user should be aware of what is what. Yes the concept of "keeping everything organized inside a folder" is similar in Logic and GB, the component and the naming of the components are different and could lead to false assumptions

MySong.logic

This is the Logic Project file. This is the data file that contains the information about the Regions, etc. But it is not the Project Folder, the Project File resides insde the Project Folder.

Data FIle: yes

Project Folder: no

MySong.band

This is the GB Project File. It is the Project Folder. But it is not the data file for that Project, which resided inside the Project File.

Data file: no

Project Folder: yes

So mybe it just how you define:

• * Project File
    * Project data file
    * Project Folder