Video imports in wrong aspect ratio

claygreenberg

Hi everyone. I am running Logic Studio 9.1.7 in Mountain Lion (just updated). When importing video files into the Video track, they sometimes import in the wrong aspect ratio. I'm working with DVCPRO-HD .mov files in 1280 x 1080 resolution. The video look just right when I play them in QuickTime, but they are getting imported into Logic in a 4 x 3 aspect ratio. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is there a setting that I can't find somewhere that addresses this?

I have noticed that, if I import the video into iMovie first (where it looks right), export it in 1080p, and then import into Logic, it looks right.

I'm not sure if this is a new issue or not, as it's been a while since I've done a project with video. I'd really appreciate any help on this!

Hold CNTRL and click on the movie as it appears in the Logic QT movie window. See if any of the options presented will help you out.

Alternatively, you can simply resize the window to make picture looking right by using the normal drag-the-lower-LH-corner.

BTW, Logic doesn't import video, it just plays it. And if you're scoring this movie for a paying client then I would not suggest re-encoding it in any way unless you really know what you're doing when it comes to transcoding video files.