How do I remove Plugins completely from Logic [SOLVED]

sVendetta

Hello!

This isn't really an urgent thing but nonetheless a little itch I have. I recently bought NI Komplete 8 and installed everything, so far so good. I had an old copy of Guitar Rig 3, which I got along with the Rig Kontrol and though I deleted every relating item it still shows up in Logic as a choosable plugin. When I select it, Logic tells me to contact the manufacturer for the latest update.Is there a way to permanently remove uninstalled plugins from Logic?

Thanks in advance, yours

sVendetta

Edited by sVendetta

Hello triplets!

Thanks for your answer, but as mentionend I removed every related item, including AU/VST/Digidesign plugins from Audio/Plugins. As well as every .plist files, documents, preset settings etc. Still I see Guitar Rig 3.... I even used Houdini to reveal hidden folders, but no success.

check these folders also:

Applications

Application Support (in the HD>Library, and your Home Library)

Documents

Audio>Presets (both Libraries)

just be VERY CAREFUL with those hidden folders; most of them are there (and hidden) for a reason.

i had a friend who installed an app to show hidden files (i forget what he was looking for), and he cleaned them up...and couldn't reboot, had to reinstall his system...

I'll give it a try when I'm back from work. I also checked the Plugin Manager in Logic, just to make sure I did not forget anything. Here GR3 doesn't show. Very strange... @fisherking Rebuilding my system is not an option:-) I'm very careful with deleting hidden files...:-)

Try trashing the AU cache.

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits.cache.

Never knew there was an AU cache! I also found something called "Components2.LocalCache.AudioComponents." Anyone know the difference between the two?

The AU cache is related to validation of the 3rd party AU plug-ins you are using.

The other file isn't. :D

I'm not in front of OS X right now but I believe it's related to audio codecs.

Never knew there was an AU cache! I also found something called "Components2.LocalCache.AudioComponents." Anyone know the difference between the two?

The AU cache is related to validation of the 3rd party AU plug-ins you are using.

The other file isn't. :D

I'm not in front of OS X right now but I believe it's related to audio codecs.

I opened that file with text edit and it actually contains info related to audio units plug-ins. I didn't take the time to figure out what its purpose is though.

J.

I opened that file with text edit and it actually contains info related to audio units plug-ins. I didn't take the time to figure out what its purpose is though.

J.

Yes, did the same thing now and got a list of my AU plug-ins.

Audio Components seems to be a service that replaces the old Component Manager (PPC).

Audio Component Services defines interfaces for finding and opening audio units and audio codecs. It preserves binary compatibility with OS X v10.5 component interfaces while removing dependency on the Component Manager.

So it's more like a global thing and not related to Logic per se.

Mh. I opened Library/caches but there is no com.apple.audiounits.cache. I searched via spotlight which returned no results. I think I'll live with it. It's not really distressing my workflow, it just would have been nice to clean up the AU selection. Thank you all for your time!

Mh. I opened Library/caches but there is no com.apple.audiounits.cache. I searched via spotlight which returned no results.

It's in Users/sVendetta/Library/Caches - seems you're looking in the main Library. System files (including files in the Users/Library folder) are by default excluded from Spotlight.

Aahh... Got it. That did the trick! Funny that Spotlight didn't find that... Problem solved( at least this one).

Like Erik said, spotlight doesn't serach there by default, but you can tell it to look there if you want.

Like this (this is for SL but it should be similar in Lion):

Mac OS X v10.6: How to include system files in Spotlight search results

J.

• 5 years later...
Trying to permanently delete a demo plugin from my computer but it won’t go away; have removed it from all folders I can find in the library e.g VST, VST 3, RTAS and also other hidden ones such as presets and preferences. Unticking it from my audio units manager is simply not an option as I need it gone from my laptop (MacBook pro) completely. So to summarise, even though there is no visible files of the plugin, it still seems to come up in logic of which I need to get rid of completely as it is causing me issues. My DAW is Logic Pro x. Thanks

Trying to permanently delete a demo plugin from my computer but it won’t go away; have removed it from all folders I can find in the library e.g VST, VST 3, RTAS

Make sure you remove its .component file from the "Components" folder. Check both the root library (Mac HD/Library) but also the user library (hold down Option as you click Go in the main menu in the Finder and choose Library).

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem in macOS Monterey and it seems to me that the solution from 9 years ago is no longer working: There is no file or folder /Users/user_name/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits.cache on my system.

Any ideas?

I have a plugin whose .component I have removed from /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components, but after restarting Logic Pro, the Plugin Manager still shows the plugin. The plugin cannot be loaded anymore, of course, because its component file no longer exists, but Logic Pro annoyingly still lists the plugin. What can I do?

Hi Alexe,

I'm having the same problem in macOS Monterey and it seems to me that the solution from 9 years ago is no longer working: There is no file or folder /Users/user_name/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits.cache on my system

These days that file can be found in /Users/username/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache/

I would also check that a copy of the plugin (.component) file does not exist in /Users/username/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/

You may be able to reset the cache without necessarily trashing that file using the "Full Audio Unit Reset" button in the Plugin Manager, see here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201199#rescan_all

J.