Cannot 'save as' any project- Error code -1

alhpj

Hi

can anyone help?

Every time I try to 'save as' a project I am working on, I am getting the error message "Saving Spool file/Entry not in queue Result code= -1, File= project file backup

It then continues to try and save as and then says

"The document could not be save as "...." The volume is read only.

I have opened permissions for each folder and for Logic itself which says I have custom access. But I have also noticed that if I unlock sharing and permissions, it does not let me change any of the choices for the user, staff or everyone.

For each project I open (as I have tested several) I get for user: read and write, Staff: read only and everyone: read only. If I click on those options they give me no options to change.

I have run a disk utility repair on the HD and on my external HD where all my logic folders live. And I have restarted the computer about 5 times.

In addition to this, incase it's relevant, my Apogee Duet keeps on playing up with my new MBP (Lion) even though i installed all the updates etc and it normally has glitches and has distortion, so this morning I read a way to fix this and opened the activity monitor then selected All processes and then force quitted Duet Daemon. This fixed the apogee duet problem. But is the reason for my new problem?

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Many thanks

Logic 9.1.7 (64 bit), Mac Book Pro 17inch, 10.7.3, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 8GB, Apogee duet (1)

Hi.

Not sure if this will help you but I had the same problems.

In the end I restored from a time machine back up which solved the problem. There were other issues though!

Before I did the restore, I tried the standard 'repair permissions'. On doing this I noticed that nothing was found to repair. Very unusual. There's almost always something to repair. I then tried 'verify disk' and got a messaged saying the disk needed to be repaired. I booted into the recovery HD on Lion (restart then cmd+R) and repaired the disk from disk utilities.

So, I am left wondering if it was the problem with the disk that caused this to happen in the first place. I may never know.

I'm sorry to hear that! I had this exact error code after doing a "hard shutdown" on my computer when it froze during a recording session. I fixed it by running fsck from the terminal and rebooting. You can effectively do the same thing by rebooting into safe mode, as the OS automatically scans your HD for errors (hold shift when booting).

It's probably not permissions causing the problems if you haven't changed them yourself.

I really hope this gets resolved, a day without logic is like a day without sunshine.

hi there, i too have this issue. I have tried the fsck, and shift reboot thing to no avail. also a "add read/write to everyone for the backup folder" suggested in a different thread. this issue plagues me still. anyone have another solution?

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the problem I cannot save anything.

Have updated to the latest lion Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Installed Logic Pro twice now, and still cannot save.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

This is driving me mad :?

Thank you

p.s when exiting pro NO window or error comes up.

just quits program.

Edited by ASH27

• 1 month later...

I was away most of last month, and in the last week have just begun to see this error. I've read this thread, and others that are related, but cannot quite decipher what is the definitive solution.

AMD - I've read through the above link that you posted from the Apple forums, but there seems to be some disagreement on how to proceed. And I must confess, some of that is a bit over my head.

From my perspective, Logic has suddenly become completely unusable since I cannot save any work on a project at this time. The posts on this seem to just sort of stop in late May, leaving me further confused about where things currently stand, since there has been no fix from Apple since that last update.

Your input/advice to clarify what I can do at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Hi Greg.

This is not a particularly straight forward issue to resolve but I can try and retrace the steps I took to fix it.

Highlight your home folder in a finder window and press cmd+i. A new window should open. Under sharing and permissions at the bottom, your account name should be there and next to it the Privilege should be set to Read and Write. Can you first confirm if this is the case?

Hi Greg.

This is not a particularly straight forward issue to resolve but I can try and retrace the steps I took to fix it.

Highlight your home folder in a finder window and press cmd+i. A new window should open. Under sharing and permissions at the bottom, your account name should be there and next to it the Privilege should be set to Read and Write. Can you first confirm if this is the case?

Thanks so much AMD. No need to go into micro details (i.e., how to do a get info, etc.). I've done some command prompts once or twice in the terminal before, so that's not foreign to me either, but I do want to proceed cautiously. Since the Apple forum post did not reference the Logic issue specifically, and since there were differing opinions, I decided it best to clarify here what you meant.

But yes, Privileges are set to "Read and Write" in my user account.

Also, I was able to work briefly, by first repairing permissions, followed by a hard boot. This is only temporary, as the errors eventually return.

Is everyone affected having to address this as a DIY solution at this point? Given that this renders Logic unusable, I'm perplexed that it has not yet been addressed. Would it make more sense for me to roll back to the prior version?

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm at your mercy... Many, many thanks.

Hi Greg.

I'm afraid that this has me stumped. When it happened to me, my privileges were set to 'custom' meaning that I could not write to my home folder. I could not simply change them to 'read and write'. It just wouldn't work for me, hence I took the steps listed in the link above. I am not an expert so I can't say what is the best way to proceed. I also had a problem with the hard disk which may have caused this, I don't know. If you can verify the disk is healthy you could try the steps in the link above. Sorry I can't be of more help.

AMD - No worries. Your mention of hard drive woes may actually shed some light on what I experimented with earlier today, which was to save a copy of two different projects onto my main system drive, and then open them from there.

Initially, I got a "cannot save" warning, though oddly it saved copies of the projects into the new location anyway. Once I opened those newly relocated project copies, they allowed me to work and save without the spool error... Yet when I went back to the original projects on the external drive, they generated the spool error/cannot save alerts consistently.

To be safe, I'm moving all my projects to a different drive. I also suspect it could be the eSATA card/cable I installed sometime ago, as I've had intermittent mounting woes from at least one of its two ports. Despite the disk utilities indicating that the external disk is healthy, I just don't trust it at this point. I'm not ruling out that it could still be related to Logic, since others have experienced the same. Perhaps a more esoteric combination of factors?

Hopefully I'll get it all resolved soon.

Good to know I can come here after seven years and only 8 measly posts, yet still find somebody to help. Hopefully I can return the kindness. Thanks!

Actually, a follow up. On a hunch, I changed the type of connection from the back of my drive, from eSATA to FW800, and now things are working - at least for now (keeping fingers crossed). I left the preference setting on "ignore," per your suggestion, Eric, so not sure if that factors in as well.

Thanks again to you, and AMD for the help. My gut feeling is that the drive was fine, but that the actual eSATA connection may be problematic. It's a 2-port cable connector solution from OWC that attaches directly onto the board of my Mac Pro (not an actual PCIX card). For the 3+ years I've used it, only one port has worked reliably, sometimes switching between the two.

Greg

Could it be your extra SATA cables that are not seated well?

Eric, that's too obvious! lol. But yes, the inherent nature of these cables is "wobbly" to begin with. Since adding this configuration three years ago, I sometimes (though very infrequently) have had to reseat them more firmly on each end when the drive ceased to mount. It was the first thing I checked yesterday. Would you believe me if I told you that reversing the direction of the cable resolved a mounting issue in the past? So it could be a seating issue.

But I also question the reliability of the connector kit itself, as indicated by the issues I detailed in an earlier post. Maybe some other forum members use this, and if so, I would be curious to know what experiences they have had:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MPQXES2/

So my next project is to see if the expander kit itself might be loose. The motherboard was replaced not long after I added the kit, and so was reattached by the Apple Genius at that time. That being said, my mac pro is intricately attached (and suspended) to my desk's metal frame, and combined with the steps for getting to the board, becomes quite a project.

Obviously the quickest solution was to use the drive's FW800 connection to investigate the Logic errors. But you are absolutely right to also mention what are sometimes the most simple - if not obvious - things to look for when troubleshooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reaing up on this thread because I too face this problem. It just started Yesterday after I started using a Brand new Seagate 1 Terabyte HD with Brand new FW800 cable. The cables are not loose either. I backed up My whole Computer to it and ran my Logic projects off of the HD. I tried to add an Audio File to my track and this popped up

1944602008_2012-08-0501_11_28am.png.1bfcccc8fb5d81179e735d7857fa516c.png

And then this...

1734785098_2012-08-0501_11_41am.png.5fc6d6b665bd57c35ba516c918775030.png

This also happened when I tried to save it.

Try this:

Highlight the Project drive > get info.

On the bottom of the Info window you have a little box that enables you to ignore Permissions. Check that box, launch Logic and try saving once again.

I tried doing as what EricBradley advised to do but I don't see that check box anywhere on the info.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

G-Drive firewire disk,

Lion sometimes let my external firewire disk sleep when the preferences were set to never.

Couldn't save to disk, but never saw spool error?

System preferences Energy Saver settings

Had to be set to never again after Lion ML upgrade, the settings are working on ML

The disk mounts/unmounts cleanly on shutdown, startup.

With Lion after shutdown down, powering off at the wall was needed before startup.

Time machine needs watching, if you're using it, it wasn't happy for a while here.

• 2 months later...

I have been struggling with the error code 1 problem. I tried virtually all suggestions with no success. Finally decided to save to another disk and it saved with no problem. Imported back to project disk and it now saves. I hope this is not a temporary fix but so far it's ok.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.